Re: Starter plane question...

> Here's what I'd like:

> > 1) Capable of ground takeoff and hand-launch > > 2) 3 channels (or more :-) > > 3) Fairly stable, but capable of doing some maneuvers as well > > 4) Quiet (so I'm guessing electric) > > 5) Good flight time > > 6) Only basic assembly required > > 7) Extra batteries available so I can swap out and fly more > > 8) Under $300, preferably under $200 > > 9) Because of the overconfidence expressed in the first paragraph, > > available replacement parts. :-) > > 10) A radio that's usable in something more advanced later

GWS Slow Stick $34.99 GWS Slow Stick Flight Pack $72.99 GWS MC2002 Charger $49.99 GWS Dream Starter Transmitter $34.99

This will give you everything you need to fly the plane. You may wish to upgrade the transmitter to something a little more sophisticated. The GWS transmitter is okay, but it just feels...cheap, like a toy.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Denny,

I'll second Mathew's recommendation. The Slow Stick is the best trainer on the market. I would go to servocity.com and get a Hitec Flash transmitter for about $75-85 with nicads and charger if you think you will be adding more planes in the future.

Reply to
mike tully

Thanks, guys. Some great advice there.

I got a line on a great deal on an Aerobird, so I'm going to get that for starters.

But the other suggestions in the thread look really good once I get something with a real radio.

Reply to
Denny Atkin

Clivem,

OK the ROG thing you got me but yeah compared to many other electrics of its weight the Zagi is quite stable. Actually, there are many folks who have put quick-release gear on them for takeoff. The thing is that they can take some real abuse and thats what most newbies need so they wont get discouraged quickly. IMO, of course. Hopefully though this guy wont go buy some cheapo RTF thing under $200. The lack of any real performance and no future usability of it's components may discourage the newcomer as well.

-Jon

Reply to
Jon Boy