Starter Set Advice

I am new to RC and am looking to purchase a relatively inexpensive and "beginner friendly" park flyer. I am also looking for a radio system and components that will outlast the plane and that could be transferred to another plane. I have read several good reviews on the GWS Slow Stik. I have also looked at the Park Zone Slo-V, which looks like a similar type plane with a comparable price.

GWS has a complete Slow Stik package for about $135. I don't know anything about their radios. Is anyone familiar with their Dreamstarter radio? Would this be equipment that I could use in other planes? Would I be better off buying the Slow Stik plane and the radio separately? If buying separately, any pros and cons on buying the Futaba 3 channel radio with the micro servos?

Thanks for your help. Joe A.

Reply to
Modrocket

If you want a radio that will be useful in other planes as you advance, you should get at least 4 channels. The slow stick only needs 3, but unless you just want to do basic things like flying around in circles, loops, and barrel rolls, you're going to want a plane with ailerons eventually. I'd suggest Futaba, JR, or Hitec, your choice.

Reply to
C G

I was going to post the same question - a father at our son's soccer game was telling me about readytoflyfun.com and their predator. I'm looking for an electric plane that will stand up to some bangs, be easy to fly and not all that expensive? That Predator kit goes for $150. Is that reasonable? Is readytoflyfun.com a good site to deal with? Any other retailers you'd recommend?!

THANKS! THIS LOOKS LIKE LOADS OF FUN!

Reply to
Mike

R/C airplanes are loads of fun. I took a quick look at the predator. It looks ok, but I would classify it as a nice "toy" airplane rather than something that will form the basis of a hobby. I know nothing about the company, good or bad. My reasons for calling the plane a toy include:

1) It's only 3 channels, rudder, elevator, and throttle. Anyone who advances past the beginning stage of flying powered planes will usually want at least 4 channels. Also, having the throttle on a slider, instead of a second stick is different from the more typical configuration. Moving from this configuration to the more standard would require some adjustment. 2) It's on the 27MHz band and only has a 2000' range. This is ok for park fliers, but the mainstream radios are on 72MHz band. It's actually good that the "toy" planes are not on 72, it reduces the chance that someone playing in a park can interfere with those on the 72MHz band. The 2000' range is ok for flying small electrics, but if you want to fly glow planes, or larger electrics, this distance is inadequate. The typical dual conversion receiver, which is what is used in the more standard radios, has a range around a mile.

So, from what I've seen, it looks ok. If you're looking for something to have fun with, it might do. I wonder about their description that it's for intermediate or advanced pilots. This is not the kind of description you would see on a good first plane. If you are looking for a package that will get you into the hobby, I think you can do better.

Places to look include Tower Hobbies (my favorite), Horizon Hobbies, and Hobby People. I also suggest having a look at RC Groups

(they have a larger percentage of electrics), and RC Universe
for more information. And one last link, if you live in the US, is the Academy of Model Aeronautics

C G

Easy Star RTF

Review

aeropal

STICKMAN

GWS Slo Stick!

Phil AMA609

Modrocket wrote:

Dreamstarter

Reply to
pcoopy

soccer

usually

.......guess those "oldtimers" flyin there glow powered Sig Kadets on

3ch at the local clubs are classified as "toys"

Not trollin or pickin a fight but just found that first reason to be alittle funny.

Mike

Also, having the throttle on a slider,

actually

something

better.

Reply to
Mike

Dreamstarter

Get a 4 ch....when I started out I had a 3ch. After a short time I wish I had bought a 4ch......now I have a 4ch and the 3ch is collecting dust. Recommended Planes: GWS E-Starter GWS Slow Stick Megatech Freedom Flyer RTF

The Freedom Flyer is an RTF, comes with a 4ch radio and you can remove the gear out of the Freedom Flyer and transfer it to other more advanced planes or upgrade the Freedom Flyer to ailerons....I believe $119.00 for this plane.

Good luck Mike

Reply to
Mike

Most likely they are NOT doing so with 3 channel transmitters that have a thumb slide for throttle instead of a proper stick.

Reply to
C G

Reply to
STICKMAN