a nice .46?

any recommendations as far as a nice .46 engine

needs: long lifespan reliable good performance reasonable cost / low cost

I am looking for both pros and cons

I am planning to fly an old "top flite models - Sierra" Kit as an onboard video aircraft... I do not yet know the total vehicle weight I have a little helli background with my C30DX and Nexus choppers. but I have never flown a plane (except in realflight G2)

Reply to
Todd Ford

Ron Weisskopf

The Thunder Tiger .46, absolutely. You might hear GMS .47, and while they are strong engines very reasonably priced, they have not proven to be as user friendly as the Thunder Tiger. The O.S. 46FX is the KING of user friendly, but at $20-$30, you are just as well off getting the TT, IMO.

Reply to
Frank

Most people will suggest TT or OS, ABC or ABN engines. For long lifespan, and seeing as you're building a "work" airplane rather than a speedster, you might want to consider a ringed engine instead. These can often turn a larger diameter prop with less pitch, at somewhat lower rpm. Enya makes a

50SS (not the 50CX) which they sell direct for about $90, and there may be others (Super Tigre 51?). Look for something that's the airplane version of a heli engine, as the Enya is; they tend to be designed more for torque than high revs.
Reply to
Charles Wahl

Not necessarily. The design of the engine: ringed vs. ABC does not wholly determine RPM or torque. Port timing/size/placement, bore vs. stroke dimensions, intake timing, throttle barrel size, and fit tolerances combine to create RPM and torque.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

You can't beat a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro for price and proformance.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Dorton

I'm also looking at these, anybody have opinions on the OS LA series?

-dan

Reply to
Dan Chandler

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

The jett .46 will give you super performance and excellent idle. I think they are worth the money.

might do well to at least

quite well assembled.

three times a TT's price,

Reply to
Tommy

Do you actually own one? I have never seen one in real life.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Yes, buy a TT 42

Reply to
Doug Dorton

IMHO, MVVS has the best price performance ratio, including durable ABC, and user selectable rear or side exhaust configuration.

Reply to
Pé Reivers

Only of a LA .15. Seems to be on par with a OS .15 FP.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

I have two of them. I have a .46 sport Jett and a .60l Barstock engine. The sport jett was my first and it will always give me at least 1000 rpm more than ANY other .46 I have ever owned on the same prop. It idles like a clock. I have not flown the .60L yet but on the bench it will pull a much larger prop than the .46 at the same rpm. I will admit they do like small props and don't have a real lot of low speed pulling power on large dia props, but with the right prop WOW!! I use a 10x6 or a 9.5x7. The workmanship is the best I have ever seen. you just have to bit the bullet and fork out A$450 for a toy engine.!!!

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tommy

WOW! That is a fair chunk of change for a sport engine. I hope you are quoting Aussi $ for that. In US$ I can get the hottest Nelson racing 40 for that much including spares.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Yes, and it's on the nose of a 1970s Sterling Fledgling! Just a slight case of overkill, but it IS a surprisingly smooth-running engine, despite the 3/8" carb bore. Jett must have done his homework on balancing porting, exhaust back pressure, and carb size to make such a docile, yet potent engine.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Yes that is Aussie Dollars. I got mine when he had a special. It was about US$220 or something like that. Not only are Jett Engines powerful. they are light weight. In fact the Sport Jett .46 weighs just slightly less than the Tower .46. I have two tower .46 engines and as I said the Jett engine will turn 1000 rpm more than the tower engine. I know they are expensive but well, it is only a game anyway. You know, "The one who dies with the most toys wins"

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

ps. Jett has them on sale right now for US$220

proformance.

Reply to
Tommy

Necessarily and often aren't the same thing. My reasoning here is that most of the ringed engines around today are ones that were developed for the heli market, where torque is important. This is not necessarily true of all, but I'd say it's often true, as in the case of the Enya, and I think, the ST 51 and OS 50SX. On the long life issue, people's experience varies, but by and large I'd say a ringed engine will outlast an ABC, especially one used with a longer prop.

BTW, the Enya costs about half what an OS 50 does. As someone said in the NG recently, "I never met an Enya I didn't like." This is not a johnny-come-lately engine company.

Reply to
Charles Wahl

A Thunder Tiger 46 Pro is as about as good as you can get not even mentioning about the rite price. Only thing is that TT warranty is real picky.Been there,done that.

The rod broke on mine and TT told me that their warranty does not include "over-reving". Still trying to figure that one out.

Reply to
TX_QBALL