Spirit 100 wing decision

Hi, I have recently returned to R/C gliding after a long (20 year) absence. I have a training glider ready to fly, but also want to build my own for more advanced flying once the re-training period is over.

I have a SPIRIT 100 kit, but I am not sure which wing to build, the SPORT wing with spoilers or the ADVANCED wing with flaps and ailerons. My gut feel is to go for the advanced, but a voice of reason says it may be too big a jump from the training environment.

Flying will be from a flat field with winch or hi-start launches.

Any thoughts???

Barry

Reply to
Barry

If you think you'll eventually be making the jump to higher performance aileron/flap/flapperon equipped sailplanes, go for the advanced wing. If you think you'll be sticking with poly floaters, build the Sport wing.

Choice is all yours.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Keep in mind that with advanced wing you'll probably have to install two flap servos or invent your own single-flap-servo setup. The setup described in building manual doesn't seem to make any sense. In my Spirit 100 I have two flap servos connected to a single receiver channel through a Y-harness with reverser.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasevich

Hi Barry,

(also replied via email)

I would suggest the advanced wing, but you should seriously consider using two flap servos instead of the dorky setup in the manual. I know because I built the plane as per manual and the flap setup is a HUGE pain in the butt. It works fine once the plane is put together at the flying field, BUT putting the plane together and taking it apart is a royal pain. You have to fiddle with the snap link to connect the flap to the wire arm.

It would be faster to build as the sport wing, but then you would not have flaps or ailerons which you may miss once you get more experience. If you plan to do any contest flying, the flaps are really nice for approach control.

Another thing to keep in mind is this plane requires a LOT of weight to balance. Build the tail section as light as possible and leave lots of room up front for lead. I've never had to put so much lead in a plane to get the CG correct.

If you don't mind buying a bit of extra wood, you could always build both wings. Maybe try the sport wing first and then build the advanced wing later.

Whatever you choose, good luck and see you at the sod farm!

Vince

Reply to
Vince Hendricks