Aerobird Challenger wing repair

Hi there,

I am an absolute beginner in the RC plane field.

I bought myself an Aerobird Challenger and started to learn flying on my own. Of course a major crash occured, aside from lots of small ones. The wing got broken in 2 pieces about one third from one end of the wing. The wing is made from some sort of foam covered with plastic foil.

My question is: If I have no intention to perform any aerobatics, just plain flying around, is it safe to put the pieces together with tape? Any other options aside from buying a new wing? I know I am going to crash it a lot and don't want to spend the cost of another plane on wings.

Picture of the broken wing is available if required. I can post it on some binaries ng.

Please do not flame if this is not the right news group for this question. I am only looking for advice.

Thanks, Cirip

Reply to
cirip

Clear packing tape should be fine. For a little extra strength put a peice or two of strapping tape (the kind with fiberglass strands running thru it) lengthwise, top and bottom on the wing. Poly-U or foam safe CA should be able to glue it back together as well.

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

I did some nice repair jobs with normal white Wood glue. CA could be dangerous cause its disolves foam. Always test it on a save place.

Some other final touch is lightweight filler, found in the local handymanstore. its used to fill hole's in foam ceiling and wall decoration.

Good luck

Reply to
dingo

Geberaly speaking, If you do a good job of taping it back together. That is a neat job that dosent look like 30 foot of tape wraped around it, It should be ok.. If you would like to do a more permanant fix to is, I recomend getting some gorilla glue. It makes a very strong and semi flexable bond. I use it to repair all creases and impact fractures on my ABC wings. It hasnt failed yet.. I have had wings that are taped fail again, but only when stressed. We tend to fly in allot of wind here.

I also carved out a channle in the underside of the wing right on its CG and imbeded a thick wooden skewer, secured with the gorilla glue of course. This stiffened the wing allot. I recomend adding the spar.

Ken-Ohki "I make things do what I want them to, The hell with what they are designed to do."

Reply to
Ken-Ohki

Cirip,

Considering the importance of the wing, you'll find quick fixes don't generally last well. Still, you might try taping 1 or 2 tongue depressor sticks on it. A new wing will be your best choice though.

Visit;

Aerobird owners hang out there & can be most helpfull. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Buy a new wing, there around $15.00.......might be the better choice then fixing.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Hi,

Thaks to everyone who responded.

A spare wing was in the books anyways, but I'll try to fix the broken one. I have to make the most out of it. I am on the learning curve.

Happy flying, Cirip

Reply to
cirip