Biplane ailerons lower wing?

I am building a Fokker dvII from David Uravich plans. I find real fokker dvII has ailerons on up wing but this plan locate ailerons on lower wing.

Is there any special reason for this change? What it's the difference betwen locate ailerons up or down wing in a biplane?

Thanks

Reply to
yatedigo

The changes would be slight as far as flying goes. The lower wing is usually closer to the thrust line so ailerons there would cause slightly better axial rolls. That isn't something that WW-I biplanes were well known for anyhow!

His design may have done this to make radio and servo placement easier.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I guess you mean "Rich Uravitch" plans...

This is simply a "standoff" scale model.. Moving the ailerons to the lower wing makes for a much easier installation and relieves a good amount of stress from the upper wing mounts..

A great flying model, by a terrific designer... Stay with the plans. Rich knows what he's doing.........

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Reply to
dredhea

Nah, just continue on like you meant to do it that way. Leave the top standard.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:18:53 GMT, "Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

You won't even notice it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Nah, you gotta have the correct BS line ready! You say "It is an experimental design to counteract the roll-torque coupling of the ailerons and prop."

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

DOH!

Check.

This is why I read r.m.rc.air. There is SO much good advice from the professionals among us. ;o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

ROFLOL! That ALWAYS works!