ailerons

Thanks for all the replies, I have decided to mount a servo in each wing. Now the nearest one to the size I think I need is a Futaba S3107 the dimensions are .9"X.4"X.8" the total width of my wing is 7 3/4" and the width of the aileron is

2 1/4w X 9 1/2 L my wing at the thickest point is 1 1/16" so the distance from servo to the control horn on the aileron would be some where between 2 1/2 to 3". I've seen a lot of guys just glue the servo in flat ways and drop the control arm out the bottom of the wing. Now this brings another question to mind. Will a standard control arm be long enough to drop out the bottom of the wing? And thanks again for everyone's replies and consideration.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Giddens

1st, you may want to look at Hitec 85BB (42 oz@4.8 volts ) and/or Bluebird BMS-308MG servos (50 oz@4.8 volts, .5 oz weight) (Balsa Products
also. I believe you will find them smaller, lighter, just as powerful and noticably less expensive than the Futaba servos. I have used both types with absolutely no problems.

As to the control arm issue. I glue a piece of 3/16 lite ply to a piece of sheeting cut to fit the hole. After positioning the servo where I want it on the hatch cover, I mark the location of the servo and epoxy 2 pieces of 1/4"square basswood 1/2" long to the ply to attach the servo to. Then I mark the location of the servo arm and the length of the opening I will need and use a #11 blade to cut the opening out (about 3

- 4 minutes ). The hatch cover I attach with 4 screws to some 1/4" square basswood previously installed under the sheeting. I have used this setup on several scale planes and on some high performance sport models and have had no failures with the set up (The sport models do about 75 - 80 mph ). When you remove the cover, the servo comes with it.

Hope this is of some help.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

"Ted Campanelli" wrote

Also, don't forget to leave a tube of paper, or something, to pull the wire through the wing.

Think about which way they both are going to be rotating.

Reply to
Morgans