Problem engine starting?

I am new to rc planes. I've got a OS15 engine. I've bought a new glow plug and glow plug starter.

I have filled the tank up and tried to start it using a 1.5V battery then spun the prop but it doesn't start any ideas?

Reply to
Matt van Emmerik

You have to choke it by turning over with plug disconnected until the fuel line is full of fuel and some is sucked into the crankcase.

Suiritin a bit in the air intake can often help. Do hois at more or less wide open throttle

Then with the needle valve open 2.5 turns, flick it a bit and see if it sounds sort of wet and juicy.

Then threootle back to about 1/4 throttle, connect the plug to the starter battery and give it a hefty flick or twenty.

Or use a starter motor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you follow the instructions that came with the engine, it should start and run. It is almost impossible to troubleshoot it over the new without a lot of messages back and forth.

My suggestion is to find someone knowledgeable in your area to help you get started. Local hobby shops and clubs are a good starting point.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

What kind of 1.5V battery are you using? If it is not one made for starting model engines you may not be getting enough current. Pull the plug, put the battery on it and it should glow bright red. If it does, put a couple of drops of fuel through the hole and then put the plug in. Hook up the battery and carefully turn the prop with a chicken stick. You should feel a bump at the top as the fuel ignites. If that works, put open the needle valve about 2 turns and spin the prop. If you see fuel getting sucked up the fuel line it should start and run. If no fuel comes up the fuel line, hold your finger over the end of the muffler for a couple of turns and that should force it up. If still no fuel look for a blockage in the line. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

"Matt van Emmerik" wrote in message news:V_LHd.125928$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Look up "Matt's Foolproof Engine Starting Technique" on groups.google.com.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Check the plug, check the battery, make sure fuel is getting to the carb, try different fuel. "Matt van Emmerik" wrote in message news:V_LHd.125928$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Reply to
Donduk

UGH! Someone please buy mister natural a spell checker! ;-)

The Natural Philos>

Reply to
Steve

Anyone can spell words in the standard fashion.

It takes a special gift to put one's own stamp on the language.

Just you watch. Pretty soon people will be suiritin a bit o' hois at wide-open threootle. You could have been in on the movement at the stoort, but nooooooooooooooo ...

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Bob Tomlinson

Aussie RC Enthusiast and Rugby Fanatic.

Thank heavens the USA hasn't discovered and packaged Rugby.

Reply to
adder