Saito 91 Starting

What is the proper procedure for starting from cold a Satio 91 engine. Before break in it says to prime 5 to 6 turns on the prop while covering the
exaust. My engine is broken in ,but it does not always start easily.(But it runs fine) Will it still need priming or should I puug in the battery and start cranking it over? Thank you Carl Anderson

If it is difficult to start without priming, then it is perfectly alright to prime it the way it said for break in. Each engine developes their own quirks, some will start easily without priming, some will not. I have a Magnum .91 four stroke that I do not have to prime at all, usually starts right up on the first or second flip. I have a Super Tigre .45 two stroke that requires the most priming I have seen needed in an engine, but usually only for the first starting of the day.
Vance Howard the balsa destroyer.
--
To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

Carl Anderson wrote:

I have had 3 Saitos (.56, 1.20 and 1.50) and they all needed priming. I always did the prime until I saw the fuel line to the carb full then turned them over a few turns with the plug lit and a firm grip on the prop until you feel a bump at TDC then turn one more turn and then flip it backward against compression and it fires and runs forward (with time to get my hand out of the prop).
The .56 and the 1.50 both ran much more consisantly with a vibratory fuel pump. I think I used Perry's. The 1.20 had it's own fuel pump that worked well.
Good Luck, BobH

You'll pretty much always need to force some fuel into the carb (there's no fuel chamber to speak of in most model airplane engine carbs), but five turn-overs might be too many. Try three and work your way up if it doesn't immediately fire up.
fwiw, all of my OS 91 4-strokes will bump-fire after three prop rotations, like clockwork...
Cheers
/daytripper
Are you using an electric starter? I always use my favorite method, which is to fill the tank, then start cranking with the electric starter and tap my thumb over the exhaust a few times until the fuel gets all the way to the carb. I always have great results this way with any glow engine, 2 stroke or 4.
If you're starting a new engine you can put a drop or two of oil in the plug hole first, in case you don't like the idea of cranking a new, dry engine.
Carl Anderson wrote:

This is what works for me.
Glow plug disconnected Full throttle While covering exhaust port hand crank 4 or 5 times or until it feels slightly wet. You should notice a bit of raw fuel on the finger tip covering the exhaust. Set to idle Connect glow While firmly grasping the prop turn over several times. You should feel it kick at TDC. Using a chicken stick give it a solid flip. It should fire and start immediatly.
-Rob-

This is what works for me.
Glow plug disconnected Full throttle While covering exhaust port hand crank 4 or 5 times or until it feels slightly wet. You should notice a bit of raw fuel on the finger tip covering the exhaust. Set to idle Connect glow While firmly grasping the prop turn over several times. You should feel it kick at TDC. Using a chicken stick give it a solid flip. It should fire and start immediatly.
-Rob-
There are only 3 things to add to the above.
1. You may see fuel spray out of the carb and that is a good indicator there is a fuel charge in the engine. 2. I turn the engine backwards until I get to compression then I hook up the glow driver and then take the throttle back to idle which give the plug time to heat up. 3. I use a chicken stick to give the prop a good stroke in the clockwise direction and they almost always start.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:18:32 -0500, "Six_O'Clock_High"

Sure, that's easy for you to say, but how you gonna 'splain that to the people who don't know what a real clock looks like ? B-)

So would that make those people 'clockdumb'? ;)
--
David

-------------
That, or they would be clock challenged.
Just imagine those who have only been exposed to digital clocks. <G>
Ed Cregger
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:51:12 -0400, "Ed Cregger"

Would those be the ones that think a quarter past the hour is 25 after??

Gosh I never even considered that! I suppose I could start using "watchwise" and "counterwatchwise" since the better shops still carry watches that are not strictly digital. Maybe 'right' and 'left' would do, what do you think? . . . . . . . . . . . Jeez, some folks just won't let the "political correctness" think go.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:49:16 -0500, "Six_O'Clock_High"

How about "forward" and "backward"? :-)

"backward is NOT politically correct ;-)
Bob Cowell wrote:

widdershins.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:49:16 -0500, "Six_O'Clock_High"

Clockwise and counterclockwise work for me,
I think that the whole political correctness has resulted in enough "dumbing down" of society, and it is time for the ignorant to learn what most of us knew before we even started school.
Bob Cowell wrote:

Well said!!!