Starting Handles

All,

I've just seen a thread on Harry's about starting Handles. The majority of posters there cite injuries and nasty happenings when the handle is chucked into the workings of an open crank engine (so that's what crankguards are for). Perhaps I'm naive, but this level of mayhem surprised me a little.

I can't imagine starting a Lister D or a small engine by flipping the flywheel.

With the exception of one grumpy Bamford and a handleless Powell, I start all my engines with the handle.

Am I unusual in this?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

I don't believe so. When I was subscribed to Atis there were many threads about how dangerous handles are. Neither the Brits nor our Antipodean chums could ever understand the aversion. I could only conclude that either US engines have odd valve or ignition timing or that it was some form of mass hysteria..... Having said that and being without the use of R Index finger, I would use the flywheel if it were appropriate, as it saves bruises on the R forearm :-) ttfn Roland

of posters there cite injuries and nasty

engine (so that's what crankguards are for).

all my engines with the handle.

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

posters there cite injuries and nasty

(so that's what crankguards are for).

my engines with the handle.

Some engines 'have' to be started by handle, there just isn't any other way!

There is a bit of the folklore about engines & starting & running in the USA which is much different to us over here. Starting by handle is quite commonplace in reality, but "proper engines" are started by turning the flywheel...:-)) Note that engines in the USA are mainly petrol or propane powered, diesels are very few and far between.

There is as much risk of injury with a handle as by falling over while turning the flywheel, & personally I have never had a problem with starting handles of any kind.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Just read through the thread and I have to say it made me feel rather nervous! I have only ever had one starting handle 'moment' probably ten or fifteen years ago, and that was my own fault for trying to use the grotty ill-fitting job which came with my Bradford - One time it failed to come off of the crankshaft, so I shut off the fuel needle and stood there waiting for it to stop. However, as the engine slowed down, some critical speed was reached at which the handle flew off vertically upwards! I legged it and the handle sure enough fell back onto the engine with such an horrible clonk that I expected the worst. But, despite one of the right angle bends in the half inch thick handle being reduced to about thirty degrees, I have never found any damage on the engine.

I still use starting handles where available and, apart from the odd jarred wrist when something has coughed unexpectedly (watch that T600 Kim!), no problems.

Reply to
Nick H

Gentlemen,

I can relay a few happenings, a long gone friend of mine had a Large enclosed crank crossley that had so much compression he absolutely refused to start it on a handle, it was mounted permanently in his garden and when ever we ran it it would be by holding the exhaust valve open and belting it up to a Lister D.Denis decided to sell it and a few weeks later we met the new owner at a rally with stiches in his forehead. Starting the engine on a handle it had kicked back and with him still holding the handle hit him in the head. At a rally one chap was vigerousely trying to start an open crank that refused to go, the handle came off the crank and he ended up in hospital having most of his front teeth removed as he had tried to swallow the handle. And finally at a local rally that I was a steward a gentleman lost the plot with one of his engines and backed his car up to it wrapped some rope around its flywheel attached the other end to his car and then drove off asuuming the pull would start it. He did not rally that weekend because he was asked to leave.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I would certainly agree that WLF is dangerous and also indicative of an engine that needs work. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

And to any newbies on the list remember the No 1 rule. Never put your thumb round the handle on the other side to your hand. Most of us oldtimers learned this the hard way. Dave Croft.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Curiously enough, the only problems I have ever experienced have been with American engines although I can see no logical reason for this. Both my Amanco and Fairbanks require you to be especially careful to push the handle onto the crankshaft while cranking (more so than normal) otherwise they chuck the handle off mid-swing (usually just as they fire) on one occasion remodelling my big toe and the second re-modelling my toe-tectors (I learnt the hard way!). I suppose it's probably due to the slot in the crankshaft being more worn than on my other engines - sloppy steel I guess.

There's a lot to be said for the Petter bent wire system, if they ever run amok (mine never has) they're nothing like as frightening as 5 pounds of cast-iron spinning round on a wooden handle - that may or may not be attached to your right arm :)

Mark H

hysteria.....

Reply to
Mark Howard

As much as I hate to admit it, some of my countrymen are weenies. Yes, I've hit myself with cranks more than once. I've also hit myself with hammers... and with wrenches... and stabbed myself with screwdrivers... Perhaps I'm too dumb to realize the danger.

Incidentally, last Saturday Larry Evans was showing me how much easier his Rusty Horndog starts when using a genuine authentic English crank.

Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, California

Rob Skinner

I did like the bit about the man towing an engine to start it. Can you just imagine the dumbstruck hilarity, the dawning embarrassment, the secretive giggling.

Asked to leave? I'm amazed he could be found!

I have only had one Handle Moment (deo volante!) When I was first interested back in the seventies, my Amanco was hard to start and required vigorous cranking. This was achieved by a worn & ill fitting handle. One day, it came off as it burst into life and smacked me in the side of the face, cutting the inside of my cheek against my teeth. Lots of blood, swollen face, loosened teeth (ah, them were the days) but no lasting injury TG.

When I got my Crossley 1075, I was cautious with the handle and prefer to start it on the flywheel, something it does quite easily most of the time. Naturally, I can't find the damned handle now!

And the Parsons? Fitting it with an electric starter, guv ...

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Oh the things I miss. My engines all start (most of the time) by pulling a rope.

John

of posters there cite injuries and nasty

engine (so that's what crankguards are for).

all my engines with the handle.

Reply to
John Manders

Marine Lister diesels (Particularly the slightly larger ones, JP, CE, HA etc.) with raised hand start have a propensity for the ratchet on the crankshaft to slip. Engines like this won't normally hurt you by backfiring, but they need swinging quite vigorously & I've known two people break their thumbs when the ratchets have slipped & then caught again.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

In 1974 a contractor on our site had a wheel rim welded to his fordson major starting handle. This was the way he started it each day to the best of my knowledge. I think it ran all day and I saw nothing amiss in this.

AJH

Reply to
sylva