Enstone

Am i right in thinking its Enstone bring and buy sale tomorrow? If so what time does it start?

Reply to
bill

Yes and when you get there :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

It was a nice day, at least the weather was better than normal. Thanks for the delivery service Martin. Having bought a bike that was never going to fit in the car, wifey was faced with a mere 20 mile ride home. The wimp was only too pleased to take your offer. In fact, the reason for buying the scythe was so that she didn't have to ride home. The most £ were actually spent by her today. The bike, plastic car for the boys and a Fireman Sam video all cost more (just) than my bits. A 90 amp car alternator for £10 might fit the Subaru. If not, it might end up on the Mini where it will be used to it's maximum. A cheap set of punches/chisels were worth the risk and, of course, the scythe. It may be a while before I get to fiddling with it. Saw Roland and Phillip. I seem to bump in to them at every sale these days. Missed Kim and a few others though.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I'm back home from Enstone, and feeling knackered. The sheep were surprised but tolerant of being fed at 5:15am. I'd decided not to go because of farm chores, but yesterday evening I buckled after spending an afternoon thinking what a shame I wouldn't be able to make it.

Saw Martin P, who sold a trailer full of stuff, including a nice R-H PB, and the best shod Allen bunny slicer I've seen for a while. I expect you've got it running by now, John ;-). Kim was in evidence too, and pleased with a good buy. I hope to see a photo of his new toy soon.

Roland and Philip were also on patrol, trading esoteric engineering terms as usual. Both were sound in wind and limb ;-). I bumped into a certain wild and Woolseley Scotsman on the rounds. As I had the car and not Landrover and trailer I wasn't in the market for engines, but I could have been tempted by an early Jellymould head Petter 6hp, and a Little Pet (with a Wico A mag!). There was a nice Bamford OV, but I've got one. I didn't think there were as many engines as at the previous sale.

I came home with a Bamford starting handle, a wineglass oiler, a mag chain, various larger sized Whitworth taps and dies I didn't already have, a drain tap identical to that on my Lister B, a couple of taper shank drills for the lathe, a nice 1/2 pint Braime oil can of a type I've not seen before, and a rather nice Godwin pump, also of a type not seen before by me.

Now for some coffee to stop me drifting off......

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

I've just woken up :-) An excellent social day and apart from the swap with Arthur for a Delapena crankshaft hone it was mostly consumables from Mac that followed me home.

7 1/2lbs of new Hoyt 11D whitemetal at rather less than half price was a bargain not to be refused as was an unusually large 3hp Petter pulley. I made a deal for another Petter wreck but was not tempted by the jellymould with non-original crankcase and mag at £490. Four huge rolls of emery tape at a most acceptable price should see me out. For once the trip back down the M5 was smooth although the brain-dead centre lane hoggers were in abundance! Note for anyone driving N on M5 in heavy rain: Inside lane of Exeter to Cullompton is LETHAL, surface is sh****d and deep standing water accumulates - middle lane is fine. and so to stew and ale...........

Roland

surprised but tolerant of being fed at 5:15am. I'd

after spending an afternoon thinking what a

Reply to
Roland Craven

Gentlemen, After you all had gone I and my cronies managed to shed a few more items and we went home with £500 between us and an empty trailer, that was once we had delivered the Allen scythe, push bike and toy car to John's house, for the exchange of a nice cup of tea and a chat with John and his wife. My wife was pleased that I had bought very little, except for two foot of 1 in Hex Brass bar and some fittings that was it. Good to see you all all fit and well, next time for some I hope will be Burford. Off to my first Rally of the season tomorrow so its going to rain.

Martin P

Roland Craven wrote:

Reply to
Campingstoveman

In article , Campingstoveman writes

I hope it stays dry for you. Which rally is it? - anywhere within range of mid-Herts?

BTW, I wonder if there's a rally at Pitstone this year? ISTR a pleasant (but exceedingly soggy!) visit to that museum around this time last year.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Andrew,

The park at Marston mortaine, off junc 13 0n M1 until by pass turn right at roundabout.

Mart> In article , Campingstoveman

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Hello all,

I had the usual Good Time at Enstone, especially as I failed to turn off the M5 north until J9 & had to make my way across country on a B road at 7.00 on a spring morning in a big, responsive car with the roof open. I found what can only be a marooned section of Roman Road and shot along it at a considerable velocity, startling pheasants and rabbits, none of whom had time to dart out in front of me!

I arrived at 8.00 on the dot & within ten minutes had found what I took to be a Marvil, but now I'm not so sure as it isn't like the other one I have in its details. Any ideas, gentlemen?

I paid the £30 asking price without quibble & went on to buy a turn of the last century Ammeter with a hand inked card face for £2, a nice brass bound mahogany two tier tool box hiding inside green paint for £12, another planked (not plywood) box for a fiver, a 300 watt Edison screw light bulb with its ceramic fitting for £2 and a few other inconsequentials.

Came across a whole screed of the Usual Suspects, including Arthur who seemed to be there on his sheep's sufferance & I got the distinct impression they were all at home looking at their watches!

Back home to an empty house (no arguments and smell of singed martyr) to find that the Marvil appears to have no spark, but I've not had a good peer at it yet. I'm not convinced that all the connections around the points are logical & one may be a dead short - which would explain it! If nothing else, the brass governor segment in the points cam is present so I can now fabricate one for my other Marvil, otherwise known as "the Little Screamer"! I bought a few Villiers magnetos at a club sale a few weeks ago, so if all else fails, I've got some bits to swap around.

In other news, I've had a busy four days getting a bike on the road, a simple enough task, until one finds that the carb has something under the float needle and needs to come off. This is a Honda XBR 500 (now twenty years old!) designed for compactness & to get the carb off requires the removal of tank, seat, battery, battery box, rectifier, unbolting the oil tank and dropping it an inch, bending up the rectifier brackets on the frame and extracting the carb. Took an hour of steady work Refitted it with a fuel filter in the line so's not to be caught again.

My MOT man passed it all except the rear brake which had a high spot & I ended up swapping the rear wheel out of the spare bike - another hour of work to dig it out of the back of the workshop! The tyres were both fine, but the one on the eccentric drummed wheel (if you follow me) was that bit better. So I struggled like Hercules clearing horse sh*t and swapped over the two tyres, both like bits of wood from standing for several years.

- and naturally pinched the tube on the one that mattered. Gave up and got my MOT man to supply 'n fit, costing a whole £11.50! All done now and I'm putting in 25 odd miles a day to get my eye back in.

Off now to do just that ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

In spring, a man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of getting his motorcycle on the road!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim, see

might help Dave Croft

Reply to
Dave Croft

Ah .......... So it's a Century, then? Were they before, during or after Marvils?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim, I had to Google this up as I made that print some years ago before that car reset all my memory cells. The only info I found was an American site which sent me to my own web page.

the two booklets that I had forgotten I had posted.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Thanks Dave, much obliged ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

> > It might help

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The distinction between the Mar-Vil and Century units seems to be somewhat blurred. I have certainly seen the larger engine fitted with a base tank clearly marked Mar-Vil, but this could of course be the result of latter day mixing and matching and I dont know for sure if they was ever sold as a 'big' Mar-Vil or whether they were always known as the Century.

Reply to
Nick H

Oh, does the "century" refer to the capacity then?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Probably, ISTR it is 98cc neerinuff to100 for any marketing department!

What's the engine number?

Reply to
Nick H

Excellent! I'd not realised I'd bought a 98cc "Marvil", an even better bargain than I thought!

I've looked it over, but cannot find an engine number. Mind you, I've not examined it with a spectroscope & a horoscope, so may have missed it if it isn't obvious.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn