A ghost story

He approached the room, was it the right one he thought? There was no sounds coming from the inside, no indication he was in the right place. Before he looked inside he decided that he should check all the other doors and make absolutely sure that he had followed their instructions to the letter. He finally plucked up courage and opened the door, the perfume that wafted out of the opening told him that this was the right place, the place that he had spent many hours to find, so many questions were about to be answered. As he pushed the door back as far as it would go what he saw frightened him to the core. There were bits everywhere how could they have done this the desecration was unbelievable. nobody should have had to see this, it was not fair on those who were to follow in the footsteps of them. As he moved around the room he began to believe that he had found the room that had been used to create the monsters. He suddenly had the feeling that he should stay and wait, maybe if he waited long enough they would return and explain. After an hour or so of waiting looking at the bits all spread around him and listening to his thoughts he noticed a board with several messages on it. When he read what was written it all began to make sense, scribbled on a headed piece of paper it said......................................

Reply to
Campingstoveman

.....................uk.rec.engines.stationary sorry martin that you missed us we've all gone to Welland to get some more parts for the engines.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Back now though! Top do, few more faces to names (Hi Arthur and Roland), excellent turn-out of what one might call 'quality' engines (though exactly what that means is not an argument I'd like to get in to), bought one of those auto-darkening welding masks for £35 (I don't do enough welding to have got any good at it, perhaps this will encourage me) and a 'new old stock' twin cyl Wico A (sorry Kim) for what I thought was a very reasonable £25. And yes - the market, craft tent etc did meet with Helen's approval :-)

If anybody is half thinking about going over there tomorrow - do it!

Reply to
Nick H

Though the trip took nearly three hours due to some roadworks, I felt it was most worthwhile. Lots of nice engines to see, most of which I hadn't seen before. Weather was excellent, meaning I was feeling guilty about not cutting those meadows today, but when I got home the sky was the same shade of grey as when I left, phew!

Time was short as I had to get back before 7pm, so I managed a couple of walks round the SEs and a quick look at the tractors (nice Field Marshall selection) and the tractor-pulling, which was amusing, though I always feel a little on edge seeing machinery being kicked so hard. Had a good chat with Roland, and he produced a Bamford palmskinner starting handle, suitable for my OV (thanks Roland). Stupidly, though I've got a genset project looming, I forgot to examine his rather nice Petterlight set more closely, duh! Philip looked stressed as his Appletop was lacking in the sparks department at the time, but when I called back later all seemed well. There was nothing on the stalls which I wanted, even Ken Hickman's pitch had nothing for me. Finally bumped into Nick and Helen. Saw Dan in the distance but never caught up with him.

Favourite engine of the day? Not sure, but I liked the two 10hp Bamford horizontals and the big twin Vickers Petter, oh and the big semidiesel Hamworthy. Alan Cullen's Moffatt-Virtue (see current SEM) was one of the nicest looking displays. Apart from the obviouslt appealing working set-ups, Petterlights and the like, I did particularly like a very appealing Ruston PB pumpset.

Steamers looked good, though I didn't have time to have a proper look, ditto for cars and bikes. Did have a good look at the commercials as they were by the exit.

Would have liked to have more time to spend, but at least I got there.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Yes, it just stopped at about lunchtime, with a lack of get up and go in the mag. department ~eventually I took the points out and cleaned the brush and face on which it runs, and normal service was resumed. However, the spark isn't very good and I rather think a rewind will be in order at the end of the season. Fortunately it started up straight away on Sunday morning and never missed a beat. Running the Worthington pump it used just under 6 gallons of paraffin over the rally.

An excellent and enjoyable three days, in fact I'm having a day off work today to recover from it!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

An excellent long weekend :-) Sadly a very nasty looking accident near Michael Wood delayed our homecoming until 10pm. A very quick dump-it unload followed by much-needed shower and bed (undisturbed by drunken cretins and generators!). For some reason, although it ran well, the small P-L decided to develop a knock in its little-end. That will have to wait until I've squared everything away and got the washing caught-up :-( ttfn Roland

the mag. department ~eventually I took the points

was resumed. However, the spark isn't very good and

today to recover from it!

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I agree that the 10HP Bamfords were pretty unusual and impressive, but two engines which caught my attention in the program (why do I only ever look at programs after the event?) but which I do not remember seeing on the field were No's 134 and 135, both 20HP Marshalls. Are those the ones which look like the front half of a Marshall tractor? I sure I would have noticed them if they were there on Sat.

Reply to
Nick H