Collecting Norman ...

Off to South Birmingham yesterday to collect the Norman T300 marine engine that I bought on e-bay. Easy run up the M5 in just about an hour.

Andy is a really nice man - as are so many I've met in this hobby - and tea drunk, off to the workshop to visit the Ward 2A, another less production lathe & other similar machines. Andy is much into model engines and his foot long model of a Gardner "0" is very fine indeed.

The Norman was as described, had compression and no nasty noises when rotated, so although it didn't fire, I paid up without a qualm. Then a nicely made silencer (with a coiled wire folding handle!) appeared, and a genuine Mk1 T300 manual and spares list.

We talked of other things and other engines he has for sale (an unusual air-cooled Wolseley connected to an interesting water pump, a Bamford (the one with the top that is the dead spit of a Lister D) and others.

Then I noticed a curved top WD canvas bag on a shelf. Seeing me glance at it, he said "You don't want a WW2 generator, I suppose?"

Well, would I?

- and of course it was an 80W EEC charging set, still with its original cover. Dated 1945, I don't think it has seen very much use (the maker's badge is sharp edged and the varnish unchipped) at all and I'll be getting to it later today. Not expensive, either .........

The Norman looks OK, but has so far resisted my blandishments.

Whizzing along the M5, there's hazards flashing ahead, the M50 junction is just HERE - quick change of line and some fierce braking in the service lane and rest. Punch in 1740 on the mobile, Traffic Watch says accident on the M5 avoid - so I did, going home via M50 and Gloucester. It wasn't on the news, anyone know what happened?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Is it a MK1 or 2? Flat area on top of timing chest says MK2, but oil pressure guage and no air filter say (early) MK1. Could be marine engine features of course. What size are 'plugs?

Just thought about that one and I guess that the extended marine oil filler tube would not fit on the MK1 crankcase.

I shall be interested to hear if the 80w charging set is a goer. Both mags I have are OC secondary. What is makers code on yours? I have ST, DK and I think the 'bitsa' one is an ECC.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Had another go at the 80W EEC today. Didn't fire, but I got the petrol up OK.

Mag tomorrow, perhaps!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

"Nick Highfield" wrote (snip):-

Just done a head count, actually two ST (Stuart-Turner) and one ECC (Enfield Cycle Co.), could have sworn one was a DK (Douglas, Kingswood). One day I might actually have a runner!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

This one is the most complete I've seen. If I get my work done early tomorrow, I'll have another go at it.

I've found a box spanner that fits the nut on the crank end and by putting a bolt in the drill chuck, I can spin the poor thing over faster than it was ever meant to go - but it hasn't fired yet!

Points dirty, I bet you.

Previous owner had it running about ten years ago, but not since.

I have a novel display for it to power. A big, chrome plated spotlamp (sort of thing you could imagine on a pre-war fire engine) mounted on a wooden tripod. With a battery in the circuit to protect the bulb against surging, it ought to run close to it's capacity to make the bulb glow brightly!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Work? I thought you were a gentleman of leisure;-)

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Uh-huh, had you fooled then

This is us and it's next week.