it's quiet tonight

Hello Mike, did you get that sleeve valve engine running?

Do they sound different than their poppet valve counterparts?

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

There's people around Mike. I'm busy trying to sort stuff out to resurrect our engine clubs newsletter which hasn't appeared for a couple of years. In between doing that, I'm also taking the occasional peek on the NG to see if anything has been posted.

JohnR

Reply to
John Rogers

====================================================== I filled sump and cranked it over to circulate oil,Oh dear no oil press indication oilpump primed and thankfully press indication. I also swamped the bore with oil and let it soak for a couple of days. Removed fuel tank drained out the smelly residue, flushed it out and refiited tank. I also sprayed the carb internally with carb cleaner,cranked it over and it started and ran for a few seconds. Ref the sound ,too early to tell as I am making up an exhaust system using a period silencer kindly furnished by a regular poster to this group.Pictures will be posted in due course . I'm still scouring the web for info but not having too much luck. Glasgow University hold the B&S company records plus glass negatives of company pictures.I have contacted them requesting help and am still awaiting reply.the Marconi Co have are investigating also. Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H

Now there is a thankless task. Been doing ours for two years now. The only phone calls I get are complaints about what's in it from the people who never submit anything or attend meetings. What's more they always ring when I'm trying to eat my dinner :-) I'm resting after loading a trailer full of rust and will be passing you tomorrow on the way to and from a four way swap..... The yard is clearing :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I'm here, but far too full of take-away curry and scotch to contribute anything useful this evening - situation normal then ;-)

Reply to
Nick Highfield

I started ours of in the first place. Packed it in after about two years due to a change of job and lack of support from the majority of the membership. I got fed up waiting for promised articles to turn up and then being up to the early hours trying to fill four sides of A4 just prior to the club meeting. Some people will think me stupid for trying again but I think it's a good communication device for any club.

The only

You got phone calls about the contents! All I got was silence in case they were asked to write something for the magazine. I ended up relying on a few members for articles, but even they dried up after a while.

Bet it won't be empty for long :-))

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
John Rogers

Brighten your evening - and as it's an auxiliary unit, right on topic ;o))

J K Siddorn

Any other Newsletter editors with ideas? The previous ed had berated everyone into silence and several into leaving. I tried: putting my address and tel in every footer, putting in pictures, thanking those who did contribute, awarding free membership to the best submission, boring them to death with articles about Petters, and pointing out nicely that if every member sent in just one item we'd have enough material for 5 years! Slowly its working but fresh ideas are always welcome..... My offer to visit members collections with camera and notebook did not however bear fruit. Perhaps not surprising given the growing number of thefts. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Newsletters: absolutely. I produced our "Chronicle" (A4, high quality, pictures, 48 - 52 pages, quarterly - I must be mad) for several years to a steady background whining of "it's not exactly what we want." Well, they're not getting it now as I got fed up and just stopped.

Thank God for the Internet!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

Reply to
J K Siddorn

And how many complained about the loss of the newsletter when you stopped. The ones that did the whining I'll bet!

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
John Rogers

Stop all this wittering, far too noisy, some of us want to sleep.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

Lovely beach. Lots of good childhood memories but now can't remember whether it was E or W that was sand. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Amazing the response one "Hellooo" created. Now if I had typed "Hellooo,hellooo"? ;-)) Mike.H. PS I can Sympathise with with all you newsletter editors I used to produce the Bristol Austin Seven club newsletter on a monthly basis.A thankless task.

Reply to
Mike.H

I wasn't there, but I am now after food-&-TV break ;o))

No engine stuff today, too busy running to keep up.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

More often than not I only ever check the group in the day while I am at work. So i'm never here in the "tonight". Although my PDA will let me look at it, i've discovered the display makes it a bit painful to try and read a large thread.

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith