Too quiet

It has been too quiet around these parts lately.

I have been fighting the urge to utter something about WD40 or graphite or trescat just to fire up the place. Or is everyone still smarting from the ides of April?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I've been dragging butt on the ground. Both vehicles died. Managed to get them fixed, after generous application of money and several days work.

Been trying to make keys to a 7 tumbler Kawasaki, which is driving me to distraction. And I've got a call to make keys to a Kawasaki. Real confidence killer.

Yes, I've noticed that things are a bit slow. Want me to help you troll for a bit?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ok, INTERNET.. I am on 26 groups at Yahoo, and its REAL quiet there.. ignoring the internet.. and going around to some of my regular customers that the calls have fallen off.. my advice is to NOT go to a used car lot-they are DESPERATE.. one guy has a half empty lot, and I mentioned it, and he said yeah.. but, the wholesale auctions are selling a car or rather TRYING to sell a car, say worth 10 grand retail, and are wanting 3k over retail for it.. and they arent selling..and this is WHOLESALE.

the mechanics are 'occupied' but, are not overly busy.. and are hoping now that April 15 is over, that business will pick up here in the next few days..

the only busy guy I know is a house painter, he is booked up for months now..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

MMMM..... We are very busy at the hotel ,room rates/occupancy are at record high. My personal side business is the same as ever...busy E-bay has been slow .. low bids and few of them, even less 'watchers". Found some great deals on the "buy side" Web site has had the same amount of traffic ..more requests for info or to "hold" items .Slower sales than last month.

I figured the newsgroup had a problem,when nothing was posted for a few days, but it seems that the "posts "are picking up. Could be the time of year or could be a sign of the times. Are we spending less because of the Gas prices or tax time or ?

Reply to
Keyman55

The newer motorcycles can be a bitch. Information is key here. I think the National locksmith had an article on the Kawasaki a while back. Seems to me you were able to derive all but 2 for the ignition and then used a code program to fill in the missing cuts.

I also think an easy reader would work good for these also. Not sure if they make them or not.

You also might check with the dealer, they might have a code on file.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Wish I HAD the code! I can't find it on the locks, any where. I think I've got six cuts (gas cap and helmet lock) but not been able to get back to the guy's house to impression the last couple.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

trescrap ? "I hate that sorry s*b with every fiber of my being"? although everyone, including ray, knows that :-)

g'day to all, except ray

Reply to
Key

Sooooo....

What's better to use to destroy a trescat program WD40 or graphite?

If I get a can of WD40, do I have to have it updated every year? Will I pay more for the update than I did for the original can of WD40?

If I use Graphite, will it eat my hard drive? What would happen if I let someone else use my Graphite? Would it then eat my hard drive?

If I were as miserable as one un-named trescat creator, would I be better off blowing my brains out than continuing to live another day?

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.

Can you get high snorting graphite? Is that a slick idea?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you have codes on disk, and you have the code series, ( often derivable from the blank and the year of the bike) you can on some programs enter in the known cuts and get a list of possibilities for the remaining. These locks can be a bugger to impression ( as you have found out) and if you were to break a wafer they are a bugger to fix.

If you cant find the one or two specific codes that share your known cuts then you can smoke several blanks doing a progression.

BTW I am confused about something, first you said it was a 7 cut but you also said you have derived 6 known and you need to figure out the last 2. Wouldn't that make it 8?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Wait a minute, you won't have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, but you want to kno if you can get high on graphite?

I doubt it would get you high, but it might make you nose run faster.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Also be sure you are using the correct blank. I seem to remember that Kawasaki has an extra long blank out that is only available from Ilco in rubberhead. This was a hard lesson.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yep, the man with the bike had a key from a similar bike. And it was the long one wtih the plastic head. Kinda like the time I was working on the guy's Hyundai. I can't remember what I used (Toyota?) but it wasn't quite long enough.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Candidly, I'm not all that sure, at the moment. I think it's seven. Well, that being the case, I'm also thinking I oughta just progress that last cut -- one blank and four tries. Just that after three trips out and a bunch of key blanks, I'm a lot discouraged.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can wonder. Not that I'd really actu<ACHOO>ally do that, you know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I suspected that might be the case. We had one bike that we spent hours on before we realized that we needed the long blank. If memory serves it is a KW15P but don't trust my memory. It will be in the new ILCO catalog. If you have the codes on disk see if you can cross reference the long blank to the code series. This will tell you how many tumblers you are missing. On that one it might be 3 making it a little tougher to progress.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

We do tons of bikes. Without you saying the yr/model, it is hard to be exact. You probably need the KW16P. Making a key for most bikes is about a 20 minute job. Honda's excepted (they are easier because they have codes on the bike), the general rule of thumb proceedure is as follows:

Pick the gas cap. Note that you need to put downward pressure on the cap while picking as the latches make the lock harder to turn unless the pressure is released. Stuff a paper towel or rag into the hole so you don't drop anything in the tank. Remove the bolts with a hex wrench. Usually metric. Carefully disassemble the cap from the inside out. Pay extra attention to how things came apart and watch out for ball bearings. After you remove the pieces on the inside of the locks cylinder, you will see a retainer. Depress and slide out. You will now be able to see the wafers and cut a key. You will usually get 5 out of 7 on the newer locks. Anyway, we just look up possible matches with the fill from Genericode and usually only get a couple. Worst case is you just progress the last couple for the ignition and you are done. Remember, these have wafers on one side only, so you can go thru

2 progression series per blank. One on each side. No excuse for wasting more than 1 blank.

No real secrets passed out with the above info and you have to have the knowledge and tools to do it anyway. It usually takes us about 30 minutes from when we pull up, get the VIN info and customer info, make the keys, write up the paper work and collect. We usually charge around $85 to make the keys and $35 service call. With average travel to and from time it usuall comes up to about 1 hours time total. Not too bad for 2-3 key blanks for expenses. Harley's, even with the tubular locks go much faster. About 5 minutes to make a key. We charge the same for all bikes unless it is a real oddball.

Dennis

Roger Shoaf wrote:

message

missing. On

[...]