recommend a very quiet aircompressor

I live in an apartment complex and am wanting to get back into modeling but I need to buy another aircompressor as my other one is quire noisy, can someone reccomend an inexpensive quite aircompressor TIA

Reply to
Daryl

Unfortunately there are no quiet, cheap compressors that I know of. However, you can buy/rent a CO2 tank and fit it with a regulator. It will last some time on one charge unless you airbruish a lot and it is silent. Perfect for apartments. FWIW.

Rusty White Flagship Models Inc.

Rusty White

in article snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com, Rusty White at snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote on 2/17/07 11:56 PM:

Beg to differ. HarborFreight.com stocks a 1/8 hp oilless diaphragm compressor made by Central Pneumatics for $69.99. I bought one at least eight years ago, thinking, well, even if I only get a year or two out of it, it's not much money. It's still working just fine, and it's very quiet. I have it in the furnace room; when the furnace is on it's hard to tell if the compressor is on or off. Here's the URL for the item:

Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

Reply to
Ron Smith

Reply to
JDorsett

Remember too that many of the quiet and silent compressors use oil, and it can get in your air system. The Harbor Freight model that was mentioned is very good and not too noisy. You might also consider a Thomas Industries diaphragm compressor, they are fairly quiet too and you can find them cheap if you look around. Sometimes Hobby Lobby has them and if they are on sale or you get the coupon, its a whole lot cheaper. Further still, simply build a "shelter" with 2 inch styrofoam around the unit if you can put it under a desk or out of the way otherwise with a couple holes for air intake. It cuts the noise down a whole lot.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Tom

Reply to
tomservo

I recently switched to the Iwata silent air and it is amazingly quiet. It has an airtank so the motor only cycles on when needed. The only pproblem is it doesn't fit your low price qualifier. I was able to get the version that runs two brushes off of separate regulaters at the same time for about $400.

Reply to
dnsh

When I lived in an apartment complex, I kept and ran my Badger Cyclone

180 in its double walled corrugated cardboard box to cut down on the noise. I put the box on a 1" foam cushion to keep the vibration off the floor. The floor was also carpeted. Of course, it helps to know when your neighbors will not be home too. Now that I am in my own house, I don't use the Badger anymore and I have a 7 gal. portable air tank that I fill from my garage compressor. The only noise that makes is the hissing of the airbrush when spraying.
Reply to
Willshak

Thanks for the link Pip. I've got a Campbell-Hausfield tankless that I've been using but boy that puppy is noisy! I've been looking for a quiet one but sure didn't want to spend what they were asking!

Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

in article yYKdnTrkEIHiaUXYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@amaonline.com, Mike G. at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 2/18/07 7:51 PM:

Well, to be fair, it's not particularly high-end in terms of quality. The regulator, for example, is a little crude compared to what you'd get for more money. I also replaced the coiled plastic air hose with a braided Badger item. Nevertheless, as I said before, it has given me more than five years of trouble-free operation, and it makes very little noise -- nothing like the clanking of the old Badger compressor I used to have before it self-destructed.

Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

Do you have a regulator attached to it?

Reply to
Hawkeye

Well, it fails on the inexpensive part, but the SilentAire Eco Air 20 is SILENT ... It's quieter than the refridgerator.

John McGrail

Both a regulator and a water trap.

Reply to
Willshak