Quiet

It's quiet - too damn quiet. If this keeps up I'll have to do some work ;-( As it is I'm reduced to browsing ebay for entertainment - how about this V. grotty sounding C-V Cub?

Nick H

Now this is more like it - in fact I almost hesitate to draw attention to it.

BTW it didn't work Arthur.

Reply to
Nick H

I think the description may be wrong, it should be Oil Engines (Coventry) Ltd if it is a Cub diesel, but there were three makers all together so plenty of scope for name changing!

I picked up my engine from John at Fareham yesterday, had a quick chat and then off to Waterlooville and then home. Had already been to Salisbury and a very nice place called Whiteparish. That was a very nice road for the most part, off the A36 onto the old A27.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

You're probably right. ISTR C-V had transferred manufacture of the Cub to a separate company by the suggested date. I'll have to apologise to Arthur now!

Reply to
Nick H

Coventry Victor and Enfield both had an involvement in the flat twin diesels, but theirs were air-cooled by memory. The Cub engine went through their hands but I don't know if Enfield Cycle Co (for one example) made them under wartime licence or not.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

All over, and probably a fair price for a non-runner. With luck it will turn out to be something trivial, but who knows? I wonder if the engine was painted up like that by an enthusiast or if it was done for some sort of display. I could well imagine it in the manufacturer's reception area or the like.

I note that the winning bidder went just one penny higher than Ted. I didn't know you could do that, I thought there was a minimum bid increment of £1 or something?

Reply to
Nick H
90 minutes left and it's on the creep, the demonic Ted seems to have it covered so far though!
Reply to
Nick H

He had a previous bid in for 60.01 and it was automatically placed by ebay.

Reply to
George Hendry

Bid increments vary from 5p to =A3100 depending on the current selling price. You can't place a new bid for less than the current increment above the current selling price but eBay has a "proxy bidding" service. eBay hopes that you simply bid once with the maximum you are prepared to pay. As other people bid eBay will bid on your behalf until your maximum is reached, you then cease to be the high bidder.

Along side that the highest bid wins, always so =A360.01 will always beat =A360. One of the tactics on eBay is to add a few pence above a round increment or multiple increments to defeat those that think in nice round numbers...

In the event of two people bidding the same amount the person who bid first wins.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can't have been very previous, ebay timed the winning bid at about 3 1/2 mins before the auction ended. I guess legaleagle just got lucky in correctly guessing Ted's max bid.

Reply to
Nick H

I get it. Ted's bid was automatically incrementing and would have been standing at say £52, £1 over Tangyeman (sounds familier!), when leagaleagle placed the winning bid at £60.01

Reply to
Nick H