Quiet

Bit quiet, so I suppose everyone is busy on top secret projects. So, in the absence of any meaningful discussion, I thought you might
like this little snippet. I bought a bit from RDG on e-bay the other day, and when it arrived, it came with a nice free 7" steel rule (thats right, 7"). Engraved on the back it said " A little extra with RDG" That was nice.
Peter
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:15:29 +0000, Peter Neill

Yes but be careful they are still only 6" long.
Here's my new toy.
http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/wrench.jpg
.
Is the 'digi' a 1.5volt or the newer 3 volt one ?
Norm

I found something like that, actually three somethings in various sizes, down at my local tip a few years ago when I was chucking stuff away. They didn't have the DRO of course. I picked them out of the pile of scrap and when I was walking back to the car some thick jobsworth ran up and said "you can't take those, that's stealing from us." Like they don't sell everything that's remotely saleable and pocket the cash themselves anyway. Each tool was actually buggered in one way or another so basically it was about 5 lbs of scrap steel at 4p a pound and about twice that to cart them away but of course that's of no concern to a government jobsworth. If they just let people skip dive like they do in the states they'd end up with half the crap to cart away.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

Hi John, Super idea, but two decimnal places seems a bit much, surely one place would be enough! BTW what do you need Stilsons for, apart from baillif bashing, risk assesment assaulting and H&S slapping? T.W.
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:54:42 -0700 (PDT), the wizard

Adjusting the onboard computer......
John Stevenson Wrote:

He clearly has everyone fooled, that isn't a Stilson, it's a precision Stilson and the widget isn't a DRO at all, it's a torquemeter.
With a tool like that you can adjust anything.
--
rsss

I can feel reality adjusting as we speak...
Regards, Tony
In article

Torquing up the head bolts on his fleet of Reliants, obviously.
--
Nigel

When the only tools you have are a Bridgeport, a CNC Taig Mill, a Colchester

No, he's got a King Dick for that..... :-))
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:48:19 GMT, John Stevenson

A colleague of mine was on site in the USA a couple of years ago and trying to get our machine guidance system working correctly. Jet-lagged and tired he spent a day trying to calibrate the system from their Imperial measurement to our metric - getting absurd results.
Eventually after looking directly at the scales and deciding they looked 'odd' he checked carefully with a plastic ruler, only to find they were using 'deci-feet' ie 10 x 1.2ins = 1 foot !!
I understand he wept......
Richard
might even adjust attitude

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:15:29 +0000, Peter Neill

OK, not very exciting or secret, but this is what I was doing this morning:-
http://web.onetel.com/~duttondock/Pictures/Boats/Chimneycollar-1.jpg
The casting is a 'chimney collar', basically a roof flange for a flue pipe. Although supplied with an angled flange, in this particular case the angle was nowhere near enough but there was just enough meat to 'adjust' the angle. It's actually held in a 'universal' angle-adjustable indexing head, though of course no indexing required - just a handy way to hold it an an angle.
Not precision stuff, nor model engineering, but it would have been awfully tedious trying to do a decent job with an angle grinder.
It was part of this job, which has kept me out of mischief for a couple of days:-
http://web.onetel.com/~duttondock/Pictures/Boats/Clerestory-1.jpg
The clerestory section of the boat roof contains the water tanks, the old loose-fitting timber top had rotted away and the leakage was causing the steel below to rot. The new top, 24' long, is rolled and folded 2.5mm steel, with the seams between plates welded, and the flanged edges secured with about 150 M6 stainless machine screws tapped into the existing 5mm upstand. I only broke one tap doing the 150 holes freehand, not sure whether to be proud or embarassed ;-)
Tim
Tim Leech wrote:

Be very proud ;-) BTW, if the water tanks are contained in the roof section than I hate to think what that does to the stability of the narrowboat!!!
--
Michael Clarke

narrow boats cant be that bad ... one sales from glasson dock lancashire to conwy habour north wales every year.
all the best.mark
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:30:42 +0100, Michael Clarke

Not an issue in this particular case, and the same system has been used occasionally, and successfully, on narrow boats for at least 50 years. Its great advantage is that it provides gravity feed. I can see stability might become an issue if it was used on a boat with a very heavy steel cabin, 5mm or even 6mm as is sometimes used.
Tim

Tim instructed
Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 4 days (21 Mar, 19:19).
how are all these messages going to make sence...in the years to come.......... if you have your replies removed Tim
and why?
all the best.mark
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:13:59 -0700 (PDT), mark

What ?? Where did this come from ? never saw this on my copy and anyway no one has any control over Usenet. Me things someone is giving you a wind Mark.
.
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 23:31:15 GMT, John Stevenson

You can set your message to self-destruct, look at the headers.
Newsgroups: uk.rec.models.engineering Subject: Re: Quiet Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:07:23 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit NNTP-Posting-Host: 213.78.28.45 X-Trace: 15 Mar 2008 08:07:23 GMT, 213.78.28.45 Lines: 14 Path: border1.nntp.ams.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!newsfeed.gamma.ru!Gamma.RU!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!212.67.96.135!213.78.28.45 Bytes: 1387 Xref: number1.nntp.dca.giganews.com uk.rec.models.engineering:52069 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk