"It's quiet - too quiet. I don't like it!"

Subject says it all really - where is everyone?

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

The sun is shining :-) One or two regulars are on hols, Peter is no doubt working his *** off, and for myself working in the sun. That means; gardening, fishing and working on engines in the yard. Sometimes I even just sit in the sun, asking myself if I miss work. The answer would amaze you ;-). regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

I'm here, where is everyone else????

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

So am I, just listening (or lurking to some), with nothing interesting or topical to say.

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
JohnR

For those who are about I could use some help please. I have a late 1 1/2 Calibrater P-L. The rheostat is the cunning type with a circle of brass studs under the wiper. The resistance array is a stack of mats made from some sort of resistance wire and bound round the edges with asbestos rope (spare me the safety lecture please). Many of the wires from the studs to the mat have broken or corroded though. Worse their original position is not obvious. Two questions:

-does anyone know the logic of the connection position on the mats and,

-how in the name of all the deities do I get a good connection to the very oxidised mat-wire ?? (judging by the corrosion I'd say its some sort of nickel alloy) tia Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Just got back from a 360 mile round trip to Stanley, Co Durham, to collect a Merlin injector grinder which I hope to adapt for other purposes - hopefully without destroying the original function.

Also called in to Lanchester parish church on the way to try to glean a bit more info on the Hedley family (Puffing Billy etc) from which I'm partly descended, my wife is trying to tie up some loose ends on that one. Trouble is there were lots of Hedleys, so lots of loose ends.

Went there via the Dales road through Sedbergh, lots of horses, bow top wagons etc parked up along the road or moving in the rundown from Appleby horse fair and, I believe, another in the area.

Had the statutory cup of tea, now for a soak in the bath

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Which part ?

Rumour has it that old man Hedley had one of the first ball bearing push bikes hence he was able to stray further sowing wild oats.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

The serious answer is that William Hedley of Wylam was my maternal great great (great?) Granfather's uncle. I think. Can't think of a frivolous answer, sorry.

Ah, that might explain it

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Roland,

I assume from your description that the resistors are all the same size and rely on various different tap-off locations to provide various resistances - or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Are there any clues on the markings on the front panel as to what the output range should be so that you could calculate the resistance required from each resistor (probably far too simple)?

If these 'mats' are hidden from view and bearing in mind the asbestos and corrosion, I might be inclined to replace them with high wattage modern resistors - assuming of course that you can calculate the likely resistance requirements.

Mark

mark.howard10

Lovely little bits of kit aren't they. Peter dropped my cable off last week and I got all new belts from AC Belting so mine should be going soon. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

"philipte" wrote

Well I'm certainly not here.

Reply to
Nick H

I can measure the total of the mats which, as I usually find for a shunt wound dynamo of that era, is roughly the same as the field winding resistance. However the position of the few attached wires suggest that its not quite linear (none of my many books throw an light on that). I could use modern resistors but would much prefer to conserve/restore rather than replace. regards Roland

resistances -

Reply to
Roland Craven

Scrape it shiny.

It'll be nichrome, which is a standard material from people like the scientific wire company.

's even a standard diameter / resistance for this alloy. So a replacement from scratch is quite easy and you just need to measure the diameter, not the original resistance (I believe the resistance increases with age)

(if anyone needs some white asbestos fabric, I have a roll of it and will happily p*st out small chunks for repairs, gaskets etc. Just don't tell the department )

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've not been here since Monday night, Tuesday in London being King of Norway for a Battle of Hastings project manager's presentation for Lehman's the big American corporate bankers at Canary Wharf - most impressed with the buildings.

Wednesday & Thursday school talking & I spent much of today charging about on the bike buying some motorcycle jackets from a ex biker, taxing the car & other stuff I've not been able to attempt during the week.

Off to Croxteth Hall in Liverpool for an event on Sunday, but next week might well see me oily & spanner-handed ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Vade retro, Satanus!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Gentlemen,

I'm sorry that you have all been lonely, been away from home all week baby sitting one of my Italian collegues and training customer personnel on how not to wreck thier brand new washing machines and to use them properly. I'm up to scotland on Monday, up the A1 and back on Thursday same way. If anybody wants anything brought south you have until Sunday night to email me.

Mart> I've not been here since Monday night, Tuesday in London being King of

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Did you manage to get a manual for yours? Something makes me think it may be a different model from mine, though? Belts on mine are useable but maybe not for too long.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Just back from La Belle France after the first holiday in fifteen years! Sadly not one engine was seen, though lots of old tractors, still in use.

It will now rain for the rest of our "Summer", as it's been fine for the week when I was away :-).

Nice Rustons, George!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

I went to Cyprus to watch the world rally a few years ago, and spotted various engines on the side of the roads around larnica and in the small towns around the trudos mountains, they were mostly diesels from the 40s and 50s, unfortunatly we were on a tight schedule to get to the stages, so stopping for a look was out of the question.

Gary M

Reply to
gary millward