How To Adjust Quill Lock on Bridgeport J-head?

The subject says it all. Is this a difficult adjustment?

I'd be forever greatful if someone could offer some help.

Thanks!

Reply to
none

Its simply a pair of brass bushings that have a half moon in each to pull together when you tighten up the lock lever. They pull up tight and"clamp" the quill. When they are worn..simply put a washer under the head of the clamp lever to take up the wear.

A friend of mine makes absolutely marvelous replacement quill locks that are adjustable, have a built in friction spring so they stay where you leave em and so forth.

$55 each, shipping included

Gunner

Gunner

Considering the events of recent years, the US has a long way to go to regain its credibility and reputation with the world

Reply to
Doug Schultz

Hmmm...how do you remove the quill lock? I'm not at the machine at the moment, and I don't remember an obvious was to remove the lock lever. I recall a captive nut on the rear.

Thanks!

Reply to
No Spam

Psst..Doug...I dont care about the rest of the world.

Deal with it.

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner, does your friend have a web page where his quill lock is shown?

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

I dont recall ever seeing a lock nut..but...remove it if there is one, turn out the lock lever rod until you have three or so threads left and gently tap it in with a hammer. This pushes the back bushing out. You may have to finish it with a small drift. Then drift out the front bushing from the now empty hole in the rear.. its quite simple.

Gunner

Gunner

Nope..but his info is:

P&T Engineering ____________________________

Work: 714-850-1266 Other: 714-608-1481 cell Address: 501 W. Rowland Ave Santa Ana, Ca. 92707

He is Vietnamese. A nice guy though his accent is a bit thick at times.

Tell him Gunner referred you, and he quoted the price, so stick one in an envelope and send it already

They are extreeeemly well made and Ive sold quite a number to people who have gotten tired of Quill Lock Droop ..where the lever hangs straight down no matter what you do..chuckle.

They generally fit the imports too btw. YMMV of course.

Gunner

Gunner

It may be the shiznits, Gunner, but the little plastic counterweight thingy I bought for mine years ago works fine and it was a single digit price. There is also a very common setup with a little external spring, costs a few bucks. I'm not the world's cheapest guy, but if I can save over $40 bucks on something simple with no loss of ease of use or functionality or quality, I'm likely to save the money.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Good on ya mate. Did yours come with new brass locks too?

Gunner

Gunner

Here's the one I mentioned with the little external spring:

I can't find the one I have (and use, and like) but it was even cheaper. No, didn't come with new brass locks but then I didn't need those.

GWE

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Gunner Can I second that? Once again, most of the European nations hide while the US takes all the heat.

Reply to
tomcas

By all means.

Gunner

Gunner

Of course not, American history proves that the majority of the people in your country dont care about the rest of the world either.

Reply to
Doug Schultz

Lets hope your words are remembered the next time you Turd Worlders have a natural disaster, or are invaded.

Im sure we can spend all that relief money more wisely at home, or have our troops keeping the border closed.

Btw Shultz..is there some reason you are posting in English and not German or Russian?

Gunner

Gunner