Electric Starter

I tried to start my OS 91 yesterday with my electric starter. It wouldn't turn over the prop. I had just charged the battery the night before so figured I needed a new starter battery. Bought one on the way home from the flying field. Charged it over night and got the same results when I tried to start the OS 91.

It must be the starter. What can go wrong with a starter to make it lose power?

DW

Reply to
WasdenDon

Perhaps there is something wrong with your charger. Check the output with a voltmeter. Joe L.

I tried to start my OS 91 yesterday with my electric starter. It wouldn't

Reply to
JosLvng

First, check the battery and be sure it's fully charged, then try another starter... Check the contacts at the wire's attachment points... Check the brushes and commutator of the starter...

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Check to see that the engine turns by hand, and rule out the engine being flooded.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

My electric starter does this periodically. With use, it eventually gets quite dirty where the brushes contact the comm. I pull it to bits, give the comm a good clean and hey presto, like new again :-)

MrBonk

MrBonk

I too have one of those I built for my starter. Turns my YS91 like rip. I leave it at the starting stand at the our field when I'm there and everyone uses it. I have 12 1.2volt 1500 mah sub c's Eddie Fulmer AMA 63713

Reply to
Efulmer

I made a small flywheel that fits on the back side of the starter's drive hub. It is a copper disk about 1/4" thick, by 3" Diameter. I tap the switch to set the flywheel in motion before applying the hub to the prop. When the hub makes contact with the prop I squeeze the switch again. Works very well on stubborn engines. Just be sure that there is no excess fuel in the engine, this starter will ruin a con rod (or worse) if the engine is hydro locked.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Johnson