Re: Which is it again?

In order to "drain the site resources" one must load a page. By loading a

> page, a person *CLICK* loads an add, and *KA-CHING* pays something for the > utilized resources.

Sorry, you're wrong.

You must click on the ad.

Since the rest of your rant was based on a made-up "fact," 'nuff said.

Still, I have a hard time believing that there are people who object to seeing ads on a free website. With forum sites like this, you always get out more than you put in. Think about how many posts you read vs. how many you make. Think about how much knowledge you gain vs. how much knowledge you provide. You always come out ahead.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Well!!!! I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers but I am dissapointed by the new r/c universe, and I am avoiding it for the same reason I only paid two visits to r/c airport. I don't go to a web site to look at wall to wall adverts the same reason I don't buy magazines.

tomb

Reply to
Thomas Buehrer

What's going to be interesting is to see which of the other R/C sites takes over and becomes the next "chosen" (by it's users) official place to do all things R/C. Rcgroups.com is a good contender because it has over 20K subscribers, but it's nowhere as well laid out as the old RCU was (plus, there's not much interest for anything but electrics there). On the other hand, I REALLY like rcflying.net because it's almost identical to the old RCU but they're sort of struggling with only 2500 subscribers. In the long run, my money is on rcflying.net but only if they start advertising and promoting the site better than they are. Torqueroll is there but I don't think it's going to get much more support than it already has over time.

MJC

"Thomas Buehrer" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
MJC

There are what... 5 billion absolutely free websites out there? Do you really believe this crap you're saying? Bandwith, hardware, and software becoming more costly? Sure... if you say so.

From January 2003 to June 2003 RCU operated at a profit.

Of course RCU whipped out a bunch of unnecessary software changes, and hardware purchases that were absolutely unnecessary, and were directed entirely at profit, not covering operating costs.

You're problem is that there are thousands of forum sites out there, a dozen of which are specifically for the same audience as RCU and you're stupid enough to try to justify the money making attempts as return for a service provided, when you're providing no service that the other sites don't. You're going to imply that all of this is to cover operating costs, and that apparently none of the other forums either incur, or feel the need to cover.

Praytell, where do the operators of all of the other RC forums come up with the funds to keep the sites online? They're still online aren't they?

Reply to
mineeart

Its nice that you have finally nailed down the concept of a forum site. Now that you finally understand the only thing worth viewing on a forum site is the information provided by the users, why is it again that the owner of the site should effectively sell the information provided by the users at a profit?

Please, try to bear in mind that the site is doing nothing any more special than any other forum site out there.

Reply to
mineeart

Don't use it if you don't like it. That is one of the great things about the internet.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Mathew,

Could you provide an email address for requesting manual deletion. I did go to RCU and could not find any email address at all on the "contacts" page. I did not log into the site as I do not accept the new policies regarding use of the site. Hence, I cannot send a private message or post my request I would like to resolve this matter soon.

Thank you, Mark

Reply to
mpj220

Please email me back channel, and I'll get you the address. I don't want what just happend to my email account to happen to any of the email accounts at RCU due to something I did. Since speaking my mind regarding RCU, I have suddenly started receiving 120-200 spam messages per day, most containing viruses. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, but it seems like an awfully suspicious coincedence to me. To think that someone would do such a spiteful, hateful thing to someone else simply because they have a differing opinion...

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Ummmm.... turn off the paranoia, please. EVERYONE has been getting mailbombed with viruses the last few days, courtesy of the latest MS virus. My mailserver has rejected about 12,000 attempts since last Thursday.

Reply to
user

You are not the only one having problems with spam, as of late. People in other newsgroups have had paranoia like yours, too. Rest assured, it is coincidental.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Maybe one of the usenet moderators deleted it? :)

Reply to
mineeart

It's possible. I could send out spoofed cancel messages to usenet from my home PC. Anyone could.

However, it's much more likely that I simply fat-fingered the web browser and hit the back button instead of posting...

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

The likely solution isn't near as entertaining as the conspiracy theory

Reply to
mineeart