Starter motor

I recently bought an OS FL-70. As the piston starts to bed in I discovered that my Sullivan "hi-torque" starter is unable to turn the motor over. I have tried using a car battery instead of the usual gel-type sealed lead acid batteries. The starter did exerted more torque but still failed to turn the OS over.

In case some smart people on this otherwise excellent news group tries to sell me some VW hub caps - I have checked the OS by hand, it turns over perfectly.

What starter would you recommend?

TIA

Reply to
Pete

Since you didn't like my offer of VW wheel covers, I have a slightly used Ford Long Shaft Starter that would certainly turn your FL-70 over.

Reply to
Double Ace

If you turn the prop backwards until it comes up against compression, which gives the starter a "running start", that starter should swing that engine, even with only a 7mAh hobby battery. I'd suggest a new starter.

Dr.1

Reply to
Dr1

One that's not worn out?

hey, you asked for it :) seriously though, that's not much motor for that starter. Try it on something else to be sure, like a two stroke 40, but I'd think it's time to replace the brushes or starter. Check for corrosion, bad wire connections, etc.

Reply to
John Alt

I used to swing 35cc gasoline engines over with a fifteen year old standard Sullivan starter using my car's battery with no problem at all. Sounds like something is amiss with your starter. How are the brushes? Those are replacable and sometimes that will do the deed.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Rotate it backwards by hand till you get to the compression point then try the starter. Sometimes a running start helps.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I use a standard Hobbico starter to turn my Zenoah G-23. It spins it easily with only a 7mAh hobby battery.

Dr.1

Reply to
Dr1

That I gotta see Dr DR1. They are looking for batteries like that.

Reply to
jim breeyear

Do those starters have a thermal cutout in them??

Reply to
jim breeyear

That I gotta see Dr DR1. They are looking for batteries like that.

For the proofreaders in the bunch remove the "m" for the correct As.

Dr.1

Reply to
Dr1

The Sullivan "high Torque" is a case of misleading advertizing. My cheap, OLD Hobbico standard is much stronger. A friend built a 1/3 scale Strega and powered it with two Enya VT-240s running a common prop shaft. His Sullivan couldn't budge it. My Hobbico easily started the engine.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh