PING GUNNER: FROZEN PISTON

Any update on the Continental piston?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Still stuck harder than a Stock Brokers heart.

Ive been busy, so havnt had much of a chance to screw with it.

Ill pull the rod caps next, and try to get the crank out from under the pistons, then pull the engine and take it back to the guy I bought it from and let him rebuild it.

As a last resort, Ill put a cold chisel to the offending piston, then bash out the bits

Ill post when I have an update

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Having taken apart many engines that have sat for 70 years or longer, I have had good success with Coca-Cola. Sometimes it takes a week or even a month with Knight type sleeve valve engines that have iron pistons installed with .0015 clearance.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I still like my hydraulic idea.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Its got a half can of Kroil sitting in it, with periodic bashings using a 1x1 and a hammer, around the edges of the piston.

Reply to
Gunner

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:30:45 -0700, the infamous Gunner scrawled the following:

Ditto the Kroil and some Marvel Mystery Oil my Hercules 6 in the Lincoln 350. I try the starter on occasion, to no avail. I should put the beast back up on Craigslist today. I'll never get around to fixing it.

-- Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely. -- Rodin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I got anything you want in trade?

Might be fun having two gas welders sitting in pieces in my back yard.

Reply to
Gunner

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:21:26 -0700, the infamous Gunner scrawled the following:

Yeah, a mini-mill. One of these would just be swell, Gunner. Thanks!

I've had a lot of fun with this one, but it's time for it to go.

-- Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely. -- Rodin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Trouble is, he could only get 14.7 psi on the piston that way, then you run out of vacuum!

It would be perfectly reasonable to apply enough torque on the crankshaft to give 250psi on the piston, since it will see more than that in real use (WOT). But how do you calculate that? I'd go for a couple of times rated engine torque on the spanner before worrying about the rods. But presumably Gunner's already done that and failed or he wouldn't still have a stuck piston.

I guess the moral is that before putting an engine to bed for a few weeks/months/years/decades you should pour some oil down the plug holes and bar the engine over a couple of times. Even if you are only going to flog it to Gunner in a decade or so.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Drill two holes and use a long sawsall blade on a sawsall.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Maybe we should forget that one. Piston pin likely is very close to cylinder wall.

But he could cut it close to skirt if carefull.

Wes

Wes

I about drove myself nuts onetime trying to hammer out a piston from a RD350 engine.

Took a lot of hammering to figure out that the cylinders block was floating on the crankcase.

Once I bolted it back down with spacers instead of the head, I was able to maul the pistons out.

Mark

Mark Dunning