New to Hobby - starting & flying 101

I just bought my first plane and don't really know where to begin. The plane has an OS Max 40 FP - and was last used about 5 years ago. I dismantled the engine and cleaned it out with den. alcohol. I have not been able to start it yet following the instructions & starting by hand. I am at a loss as to where to set my air bleed screw and have heard different things about setting the needle valve on the 40 FP. Any suggestions?

Flying - Does anyone know of any resources that I could read up on before I try. As I said I am new to the hobby and I don't know anyone who is does it.

chappy

Reply to
chappy

Starting OS! As a begining point set the air bleed so the screw blocks half the hole and the needle valve at 2 1/2 turns open. The air bleed controls the idle and the more the hole is blocked the richer the mix is. good luck with your new hobby.

Reply to
Bob Bauer

Look up "Matt's Foolproof Engine Starting Technique" on

You can't learn to fly by reading a book. Save yourself a lot of misery, and possibly a lawsuit, by making a concerted effort to find an R/C club in your area. I guarantee that if you try to fly the plane by yourself, it will be out of trim, and you will not be able to control it. It will crash, probably doing major damage to the plane and whatever it hits. Your R/C career will be over in a heartbeat, because you'll be so disappointed you'll never look at the plane again.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

You should consider joining the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics)

From there you can find all the "official" flying clubs in your area, and you will meet tons of people who can help you. That's how I got started...

Reply to
Roman Sochan

RC Flight Unlimited

Simulator Links

aeropal

OS engines generally are easy to start. Make sure that you have a fresh glow plug and a good battery to connect it to. Take the glow plug out, connect it to the battery, and it should glow red. If not, one of the two is bad.

Your engine also may not be getting any fuel. To prime the engine, open the carb all the way up (full throttle) without the glow battery connected, place your finger over the barrel, and rotate the prop a few times. YOu should seek the fuel suck into the engine through the fuel line. Reduce back to idle (barrel looks about 25% open on an FP), and try starting again. If the fuel doesn't suck through the line, then the carb is likely gummed up. You'll need to dissassemble that and clean it out.

I agree with the needle settings previously posted by others.

Brian Gaither Red's Hangar One Hobbies

Brian Gaither