Beginner.....

Depends. That is for you to decide after researching what is available as far as what kind of help in your area and how much you want to spend.

Do you like to build or whoud you rather buy something already nearly finished where all you do is bolt a few pieces together?

Do you want to fly with other people (potential friends) or are you a loner?

A lot of what you answer to these questions will steer you in a particular direction.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Hi All, I have never flown a model plane before what should i start off with electric or glowfuel? any other tips on how to fly or that please let me know.. Thanks Conor

Reply to
Conor

Try out one of the freeware simulators:

aeropal

That is a matter of personal preference. IMHO, there is no clear advantage of one over the other with a beginner. It's going to depend on what YOU want to do.

You can't learn to fly by reading a book, email, or newsgroup. The best way to learn is to get out there with someone who already knows how to fly, and learn from them. Trying to fly by yourself with an out-of-balance, out-of-trim, untested airplane will be very frustrating and expensive as you crash and crash and crash.

Some of the smaller electric planes have the advantage of being small and light enough that crash damage is minimal, though. Many people report being able to fly small foam park fliers like the GWS Slow Stick on their own after a few tries.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

From your address your in Ireland, Now I'm not sure if they'll cover you but try looking at

who are the british governing body (they cover Northern Ireland). If they cannot help they can point you in the right direction.

Use them to find a local club, or ask in a local model store for local clubs. Go there and see what they are are flying, both in terms of planes and radio's. Having the same radio make as them will help you with buddying.

They might hae a club trainer you can try on and see if you like it before spending out on all the kit.

Gavin

Reply to
gavin

Conor,

If you are looking to fly in the local schoolyard or without the help of someone who has R/C experience, electrics are really the way to go. Check out the planes made by Hobbyzone, such as the Fighterbird or Commander (you can read more about these on my webpage below if you want). They are affordable, pre-assembled, include everything you need, and are a lot of fun.

If you plan on joining a local R/C club, then gas is what I would reccommend. Check out the Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer. It is a great flying airplane and comes with a radio and engine that you can transfer to another plane as your skills progress. The Alpha Trainer only takes a few hours to assemble.

Brian Gaither Red's Hangar One Hobbies

Brian Gaither