Re: new to hobby

I would like to explore to world of model trains can anyone point me in the

> right direction. Im not working so im kinda on a budget anyone have any > suggestions?

Read lots > Public Library. Buy an Athearn Loco and some Atlas track.

Gregory Procter

Am there, doing that.

Cadge whatever you can from the local dump. I've gotten a huge supply of 2X4,

1X8s, 1X6s, 1X4s from there. Paid squat for most of my layout framing.

I agree with Gregory. Read lots. Research is free or next to it. Decide if you want to freelance or model a real or fictitious branch/division of your favorite road(s). In either case, decide on a time frame. If freelancing, play with photo software or drawings to decide on a paint scheme. Work on a track plan. If you have one, build a small area of the layout and get it finished and detailed. Observe things around you for details when you finally build. The modeling possibilities are endless, even if you're not currently modeling.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Classic Athearn (blue box) is still an economical way to start out, assuming you want to go with HO scale. Bowser and Accurail also make some very nice freight car kits which are very reasonably priced and go together easily. There is a LOT of good stuff available these days in HO, much of it ready to run, but as you've probably noticed, it ain't cheap. 20 bucks or more for a freight car built up, etc.

If you are looking to buy a boxed "train set" to start out, I'd recommend Athearn or Walthers - which you won't find at a typical toy store or Wal-Mart. Worth the difference in price.

If not HO scale, I'll let someone else take a crack at it.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman