New Hobby

I seem to remember that, a while ago, I decided to take up model engineering. I had dreams of all sorts of working models -steam engines, model IC engines, maybe even a traction engine. It is now nearly 5 years since I bought my lathe -which is what started it all off. Since then my tally of completed projects runs to one Stuart S50 mill engine (and that has only run on air as I never built a boiler for it). Even allowing for the fact I've moved house twice in that time this seems a little poor. I have, however, spent countless hours working on laying out workshops, re-arranging workshops, fixing old machines, chasing around after additional "bargains" for the workshop, building benches and other fittings for workshops. Just as I've nearly got everything sorted (not quite finished work on the A&S 1ES

-still fitting the DRO) I go and swap my old surface grinder -which did actually work OK- for the 540. The only reason for this is that I've always thought of the 540 as the definitive surface grinder, and couldn't resist when one came along cheap!

It strikes me that I seem to have embarked on a new hobby

-"workshopping" (any suggestions for a better term?). This is the continual aquisition of workshop equipment (whether needed or not) and can rapidly lead to the complete inability to resist any "bargain" machines you come across! Is there any hope for me?

Regards

Kevin

PS It is quite good fun though -even if the model engineering projects grow ever more distant. Just think how quickly I'll be able to do them once I've got the workshop sorted out (assuming I live that long).

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I think the journey is better than the arrival.....:-))

Like most of us, you'll always get involved with things of interest, and a trail of incomplete projects will follow you along. Luckily the model engineering side is fairly small in terms of finished items, while stationary engines (for example) can be bl**dy big! We called a halt at 3/4 ton for the Ruston & Hornsby horizontal diesel, but there are much bigger lumps out there being rallied.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

SWMBO refers to it as "Cluttering" as in "He is off cluttering the garage" or "He has gone to buy more clutter" or "What is he doing with that lathe?" - "Cluttering".

Unlikely, it is a common affliction and apparently very infective. There is no known cure. Decluttering surgery can be attempted but it is very painful and lasts but a short time before the condition resurfaces.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Warren (the guy that runs Warco) was once asked what model engineers make with the lathes & mills he sells them. "Swarf!" he replied.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree