Starter (trainer) plane

While I would like a semi-symmetrical wing, I have found a number of good trainers.

One surprise: MegaTech's Capital Flyer where you can change the dihedral brace of the wing as you progress.

I have also looked at the Ultra Stick by Hanger 9. While I plan to use a trainer, I wonder if this might be too much plane to start with?

Also it has been mentioned that the Sig Rascal in either nitro or electric would be a good starter plane. The electric would be only rudder and elevator. But a cool looking plane that would have some "Sunday flying" possibilities after you have finished training.

One other plane is, surprisingly, the Watt-Age Super Impress (electric). The advantage of electric is that it has a lower start up cost than nitro. And they lend themselves to being park fliers once you advance.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
R. David Steele

The Ultra Stik may work fine for you as a first plane, but I would suggest more of a trainer to begin with. I am teaching a guy in our club with a Hanger 9 Alpha/Evolution engine setup. Great package. They have both a 40 and 60 size.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

On 1/14/2004 6:14 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

An excellent semi symmetrical wing trainer is the Hobbico Avistar. It is a glow plane for a 40 - 46. The ARF runs about $99 at Tower.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

As I have a Ultra Stick 60 with an OS 70 Surpass, I would not exactly call it a "Trainer" as it has none of the "Trainer" capabilities. With the full-symetrical airfoil it flies as well upside down as right side up and no dihedral so it has no "self correcting" roll tendancies that are welcomed for a "Trainer." The Rascal has much more of those wanted traits. Generous dihedral and long moments. I think the Rascal 40 would make a great trainer (I have one of those as well). The choice of electric over glow can be deceiving in that you might concider that you should have several battery packs (One to fly, one cooling down after flying and one charging for the next flight) and for electric you should also have a GOOD charger to charge with Fast but won't cook your battery packs. Electric planes tend to be smaller (physical size and weight) than glow so wind will set when you fly...small (light) planes don't like winds over 10 mph, usually.

After all is said and done, check with your prospective instructor and see what he recommends....

Reply to
Checkursix