E-flight, batteries, where will it end?

NiCads, NiMH, Lith Ion, Lith poly, the list goes on. Last year I invested in NiMH and now they 're almost obsolete. I purchased my first Li Po battery a couple of weeks ago along with the necessary charger.

I hope to replace my 10 celled NiMH batteries which weigh 22 oz each with 2 three celled Li Po batteries that weigh 9.6 oz together. Resulting in a reduction of about 12 oz. Now, in an airplane that totals out at 56 oz, the % reduction is about 21%. Along with that, I hope to increase my flight time by 300%! That's a WOW!

But the batteries are quite expensive and I don't want to make the mistake of buying now and have new and better (maybe less expensive) batteries become available in the next couple months.

Should I Wait? What about chargers? What is your opinion on this?

Wan

Reply to
Wan

No, go for it.Whatever you buy will be onbsolete in two years, so doen't worry :-)

Mind you, I was such a skinflint I never quite bought any NiMh so am going direct from Nicad to Lipoly.

Isn't it fabulous? Suddenly duration and weight are - well not no problem at all-, but certainly MUCH easier to get to. Astro 109 is the best charger around.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I look at it the same way i look at computers - cuz basically its the same animal. If you buy a battery/motor/computer thats fast as butt, not even the 'ultimate' available, but one that'll perform great and is affordable, who cares if its obsolete next week. In two two years you'll still get 45minute flights and plenty of vertical. Unless your trying to show off to the guys in the club, the most current *anything* is almost always overkill, and for that premium price you only gain a few months before everyone else in the club has one. Im prolly not going to go lipo for a while - all my Black-ops slush fund cash will be funneled into this .40 trainer someone gave me. For now, nimhs will have to suffice.

Reply to
MikeF

Also, in reviews, the ReZap battery charger opinions are negative. Said it doesn't do the job.

Reply to
Libra Goat

Thanks for the encouragement, but things do become obsolete way too fast.

You are very fortunate to have waited. I spent a considerable amount on NiMH already and now I'd like to turn to Li Po batteries for their lightness and capability for longer flights.

Yes, it is fabulous. I had just returned from an indoor fun fly and those little planes flew all evening on one charge with Li Po batteries. My plane is a Slow Stick, a larger plane and it didn't use much of the battery. Probably enough charge left for a couple more evenings.

Well, I have a Triton charger now. What I'm concerned about is, if new technologies develop new and better batteries, will my charger still be compatible?

Already they're talking about the "new and better". That's the reason for my original question. Since outdoor flying around here won't be for a few months yet, should I wait?

Wan

Reply to
Wan

How much you want for your nimhs?

Reply to
MikeF

Dance with the girl that brung ya!

Reply to
Pete Christensen

| NiCads, NiMH, Lith Ion, Lith poly, the list goes on. Last year I | invested in NiMH and now they 're almost obsolete.

Obsolete? No. NiCds and NiMH cells work just as well (often better) than they used to. It's just that Li-poly cells are often better now for many applications.

Just because there's something better out now, that doesn't mean that what was out yesterday is obsolete.

Still, in your case, it sounds like Li-poly is a good thing. You'll have to tell us how it works out.

Personally, I haven't made the Li-poly plunge yet. But soon. I've already got an appropriate charger (GP Triton) so it's just a matter of buying the batteries and maybe an ESC or two that will cut off an at appropriate voltage.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Doug, I know you've been around for quite some time and you're right about the NiCds and NiMH not being obsolete yet, but soon the Li Pos will replace them. Just guessing, as I'm beginning to learn about this new fangled stuff.

That's just it, Li Pos are lighter and has better flight duration, because as you know, lighter airplanes don't need as much power to fly and fly better to boot.

I will let you know, but warm weather is still months away here. However, there are many fliers who have been using and are very happy with this type of battery.

Once you have the basic electric plane, the investment in new Li Poly batteries and access. are a lot less costly. (I also have the GP Triton). In my case, I need only to buy the batteries. Got everything else.

I've said earlier, I flew indoors a Slow Stick all evening powered by a Li Po battery and yet have enough power for a couple more evenings.

Sure sounds as if I'm convincing myself to buy right away.

Wan

Reply to
Wan

I just wish the triton was ac/dc. Hard to imagine they went through all the trouble of making that capable of charging anything, but they couldnt stick a powercord out the back...

Reply to
MikeF

Mike, I don't claim to be an expert, but do you have to use an AC (AC to DC) power converter for your Triton? I believe your Triton can be used with a common 12 V automotive battery directly. Just bypass the converter. Please check your instruction book.

My Triton comes with medium size clips that connects to the converter terminals or a 12 V battery. Mine can do it with the battery I used to use for the electric starter for gas powered planes. Of course you may need the larger DC battery if you want to do many recharges.

I have seen indoor fliers with their car batteries as the power supply to their chargers, Triton or otherwise. Though if an AC outlet is available, it would be less cumbersome. Wan

Reply to
Wan

Mike, Sorry to be right back after the post I just made. After re-reading your "wish", I realized you wanted to use AC for charging with your Triton and may I assume you can charge directly with DC? Then can you obtain an AC converter for your Triton? Because my Triton uses one to charge from an AC source. Wan

Reply to
Wan

it'd take a lot more than just a powercord....a power supply that'd be two or three times larger than the charger itself. It'd no longer be a nice compact little unit that you can take to the field in your flight box.

cheers astroflyer

park flyer plans

astroflyer

| On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:44:27 -0500, "MikeF" | wrote: | | >I just wish the triton was ac/dc. Hard to imagine they went through | >all the trouble of making that capable of charging anything, but | >they couldnt stick a powercord out the back... | | it'd take a lot more than just a powercord....a power supply that'd be | two or three times larger than the charger itself. It'd no longer be | a nice compact little unit that you can take to the field in your | flight box.

Exactly so -- a 13 amp 12 volt power transformer would not be small. It would also increase the price.

You can convert a PC power supply into a nice power supply for things like this pretty easily. Here's instructions --

much cheaper than anything you'll buy at Radio Shack.

Hint: try to find an AT power supply rather than ATX -- it's easier to do with an AT power supply.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I am using a power supply that I bought at :

12V @ 13 amps or $19.95 including shipping. It is about 1.5 X 4 X 8.

It is mounted in a small field box along with a 7.5 Ah battery. Works great and I can use it in the field or at home.

Reply to
w4jle

You have some nice looking designs, Mr. Eastman. Wish I could think of a name for the twin powered plane. How about "High Tailer"? I'm not trying to enter your contest though : )

I did say that I have a Triton charger, but it is fairly small, measuring about 1 1/2" x 4" x 6" that could use the battery directly off my car. This I could take to the field.

The AC power supply is about time and a half larger than the Triton in volume. A little thicker and wider, and about 2" longer. I leave that home.

I wonder if there are more compact chargers out there?

Thanks, Wan

Reply to
Wan

yes, but that wouldn't be the one that a manufacturer would add to their product. to practical, not big enough.

ever see the AC one that powers the accucycle plus?

cheers astroflyer

park flyer plans

astroflyer

Thank you sir, for the compliment!

The name suggestion is not bad either.

cheers astroflyer

Reply to
astroflyer

hehe...

BEEN WAITING TO READ A THREAD LIKE THIS!

Fly all morning on a tank of fuel?

Can do with electric.. 3-4 10 min flights , one per hour, (gotta take turns sometimes)

I am keepin my NiCads untill they are done, most flights are

8-12 minutes, change the pack, no big deal...

I would have a stiff neck at 30 - 40 min, not to mention someone waiting for the frequency!

Hi Al !

Dave

Reply to
dgamblin

Hello Dave..

you snowed in there in NB...??

I'm not flying for even 30 seconds here this past while no matter what! -20 all day yesterday, high winds,....well you no doubt know the story...

not much snow though. haven't shoveled once yet!

cheers astroflyer

park flyer plans

astroflyer