Rechargeable batteries

Now that I have a digital camera I am in the market again for a set of rechargeable batteries. In the past I gave up using them for a portable radio because alkaline batteries lasted for a week where I had to change the rechargeable ones every day.

The ones I have used in the past were Radio Shack.

Have they improved or did I go with the wrong kind?

Reply to
Kilowatt

Doesn't your camera manufacturer sell them? Along with some handy little charger that you can take along with you?

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

Digital cameras can be pretty tough on batteries, and some don't like them at all. In any case, there are better batteries than ones RadioShaft sells. Try

I've found the Sanyo batteries to be quite good and Batteries America to be reputable.

Reply to
keith

Check

for batteries & chargers. But these days, Target, et. al., carry Duracell & Energizer NiMH rechargables (& kits) - they're really good too. I find that being able to run a charger from a vehicle's lighter port really handy too.

Don't bother with any kind of alkaline cells in today's digital cameras - they don't deliver enough juice fast enough (internal resistance & chemical limitations, etc.).

And if you're like me and don't use your camera daily, you'll eventually get caught by the self-discharge of the NiMH cells. So I always keep a set of Lithium cells with the camera too. Unaffected by temp extremes and 10-year shelf life, they'll always be ready when you need them.

If your camera uses a CR-V3 battery, consider a lithium version of that since they hold even more juice than AAs. And now they're making RCR-V3 (rechargable Lithium-Ion), but so far they don't seem to be living up to their potential - yet. I'm looking forward to them since the self-discharge of Li-Ion is wayyy lower than NiMH.

Reply to
Wayne R.