Having trouble with house telephone - the handset batteries constantly run down...suspect the small powerpack transformer attached to the phone base that plugs into the mains that's supposed to keep battery levels topped up. Its a little transformer to convert 240v AC to 9.5v AC/300mA. A local shop tested the power pack for me but couldn't comment on the results. The shop test showed the output was about 11v not 9.5v So the question is, is it likely that my phone wont recharge due to this difference..or wouldn't that be significant? Thanks.
Is this a cordless model that recharges when sat on its base? I guess so.
If so, and it isn't that the batteries have come to the end of their useful life, then it could be that the transmitter in the phone is constantly powered up, rather than just the receiver. The transmitter should typically only power up when needed. If the battery run time is roughly what is specified as the battery talk time, this could be your problem.
Several things can cause the transmitter to stay powered up
- including the obvious electrical fault that the, often discrete semiconductor, switch has failed.
It can also be that the logic circuity in the handset has gone into an undefined state with the switch energised - leaving a battery out for a few hours should reset that.
It can also be that the base unit logic has gone to an undefined state, sending requests to the handset which the handset has to reply to. Again, leaving it unpowered for a few hours can help.
Deregistering the phone from the base(s) and then re-registering it may help - I have done this in the past in the somewhat optomistic view that it can't do harm and may do some good..By the time the phone and base have exchanged umpteen command codes doing the registration bit, I have usually forgotten what the original problem is..
I have two identical DECT phones (same make/ model - one happens to be ivory, the other black). The black one now and again goes into a wierd "flat the battery in no time " mode. I haven't worked out why and leaving it without batteries for a few hours restores it normal operation. Annoying. The one time I did try to find out the cause, I opened it up but this needed removing the batteries. You have guess it, when I put the batteries back in, all was well and it ran for days, in bits on the bench. I can't complain, I got the black one as a "customer return" for
1GBP, to use as a source of spares for the other - but I plugged it in and it seemed to work fine, so I kept it in service.. Together with a third phone and base, it gives me three phones each registered to 3 bases. I do like DECT. Not
FIRST: Check the voltage at the charging station, the two contacts where the phone rests to recharge and make sure you have a healthy recharge voltage there,
NOTE: when you replaced the batteries you really had to leave it alone for a full charge cycle (maybe 24 hours) to fully recharge.
I left mine off the base for a day (rung a few times while i was out) & it gave me trouble too, so, I boosted the almost dead batteries on a variable power suply i have, got it to a decent holding voltage again and et it alone until the next day...it's been working fine ever since ..
One more - which was mentioned already but deserves emphasis. Contacts - some of these phones have spring loaded contacts in the base unit. It is possible for the contact to bind or otherwise fail to press against the handset as hard as it should, which causes improper charging. Dirt, a weak spring, a loose screw in the base unit etc are possibilities that can cause that condition. Good luck. Ed