Having trouble identifying old tool

... as shown in this photo (and caption). Any ideas?
Reply to
ghb624
Oops, meant to add the link to photo!
ghb624
Starrett Speed indicator.
Pete
Reply to
Pete Snell
ghb624 wrote in news:1181842129.909340.218110 @z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:
RPM measurement tool. My father used to have one to check the speed of the sawmill blade. I think it had a rubber tip on the end that he held up against the spinning blade to take a reading compared to a time period like a minute or so.
Bill
Reply to
Bill
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:28:49 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, ghb624 quickly quoth:
That, sir, is your non-digital tachometer. You hold the round end against a rotating shaft end for a set amount of time and it measures the RPM.
- Metaphors Be With You -
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I have one in a red top box myself. Speed measuring device.
One is to hold it in the hand and keep the thumb over the area where the bump is. Count bumps. Watch the watch. Bumps per minute.....
Simple. Used on many machines to measure shafts and wheels and saw blades.....
It looks like a Model no. 107 - in my catalog #29 page 331 Looks like a '97 or 98 catalog I got from Starrett (and price list) :-)
Optional press on point(cone) flat and the large wheel that divides the shaft counter by 2 for proper measurements.
It also counts rev's - simple number of turns. Normally 5,000 on this one.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

ghb624 wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
You have been told the answer. I saw a bunch selling for 15.00 each and I still kick myself for not buying one.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Thanks to all for the good info.