Li Poly, shorter flights?

I flew my E3D plane by Gary Wright last Sunday and another club member was timing the flight duration. I had to come down when the battery lacked "oomph" (plane will not climb), just a few seconds short of 11 minutes. Both flights.

I have 2 packs of 3S3P, 1500 mAh, 11.1 V cells, Kokam. I'm trying to find out why my Li Poly batteries were nearly exhausted before their time.

The same plane was flown, running an AXI 12820/10 brushless motor with a 12-8 prop, on a 10 celled NiMH battery packs and it flew fine, getting about 7 minute flights with those. With lighter (10 oz. lighter) Li Poly batteries, the flights should be much longer than the

11 minutes.

My friend who has been using the same battery configuration, motor, and same plane design, said he gets about 18 minute flights. I emailed him about the shorter times on both batteries, but he doesn't want to talk about it.

Have I provided enough info for anyone to explain?

Wan

Reply to
Wan

Probably not. You may have a defective charger, or defective packs. Running kokam 1500's at that sort of current level even with 3 parallel may be a bit optimistic as well.

The only real way to work out what is going on is to measure the voltage before and after flight, on and off load.

You really need to take these questions to the power or battery fora on the E-zone.

FAR better response rate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TNP,

Thanks for the ezone site. There is a plethora of information there. I tried for about half an hour just to find the discussion forum.

Maybe it's my computer or my personal incompetence. I found this site to be a lot slower and difficult to navigate than this usenet. I've been here for about two years and have learned to know people here.

I have book marked the ezone for further study. Perhaps I could learn something there.

Wan

Reply to
Wan

Ah, You need to register, and then set up your own profile etc. All free.

Then you can jump straight into the discussions you want to read.

As with all things a bit better than 'basic' it needs a little work first.

It is a little slower than usenet because its based on a single computersystem running a fairly large database. But its ten times more useful.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher