Re: Kevlar or Cable Pull-Pull

How do you terminate the kevlar? Most specifically, how do you "tie" it

Do you use brass crimp sleeves like with metal cables? Seems like tha mught cut the kevlar..

-- KatManDE

----------------------------------------------------------------------- KatManDEW's Profile:

this thread:

KatManDEW

I tie the kevlar to 2/56 eyelets, then seal the knot with a drop of thin CA. I put a small piece of heat shrink over the loose end, then trim the loose end to the length of the heat shrink.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I use crimps. Never a problem. There are some threaded parts with a hole up the middle available. You push the Kevlar through the hole and tie a tight knot. The Kevlar will not pull out. Sold by Don's Hobby shop I think. the knot must be small for the clevis to fit over.

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

View this thread:

Tom Watson

I use a 1 inch long piece of 1/16 heat shrink. Loop the kevlar thru and eyelet and back thru the heatshrink. Shrink, then add a drop of thin CA and let it wick into the kevlar and the heatshrink. Strong, lightweight, and no sharp edges.

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

Sullivan makes a neat little 2-56 clevis rod end that has a hole just the right size drilled up through the shank. You pass the kevlar through the hole, double knot the end, secure the knot with a of thin CA (this is important - kevlar is notorious for knots not holding :-) ). Pull it snug then screw on the clevis and ur done. Once you get everything hooked up and proper tension set, a smidge of CA on the clevis thread will lock it in place. Works swell.

View this thread:

MokiMan

I had a piece of Kevlar that failed on the first flight, the edge it failed on wasn't sharp. A friend had his nylon coverd kevlar do the same. For both it was on rudder and didn't cause a crash. A setup similar to the sullivan clevis. No more kevlar for me, I stricktly use nylon covered steel available from Bass Pro cheap. If you stay with kevlar use the sullivan 2-56 eyelets, smooth surface. I use a piece of small aluminum tubing crimped, plus a drop of ca. Also use heat shrink over the tubing.

Phil

KatManDEW wrote:

Reply to
Phil

I use certified aircraft 8 point crimpers to crimp my ends on. You will never lose one of them crimped with that style. The plain jane crimpers can occasionally let go however, and CA helps a bit that way.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings