wind sock

Guys help me out here. We have wind sock at the field but we were thinking about putting one on the flagpole. We have a really nice one that's prolly

25-30 feet tall. Since we don't fly a flag all the time, what could we use for a windsock on the flag pole? I can't wait to hear all the responses!! Eddie Fulmer
Reply to
Efulmer

My suggestion: try using a WINDSOCK.

Man this thread is gonna kick some serious ass.

Reply to
James Calivar

Hit OSHit, Dont-It Center, Lows, Home Despot or whoever and look for those windsocks they sell. I know I have seen aircraft kite looking ones. You could also always hang up somebody's crashed plane...

Reply to
Fubar

I don't think any kind of pennant is going to satisfy you.

If it's long enough and light enough to give 360 degrees of info, it's gonna get wrapped around the pole in no time.

YMMV.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Betcha someone in the club has a stash of spare balsa and paint.

Neatest 'windsock' I ever saw was a bearing-mounted profile P-51 perched on top of a pole.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

We use a styrofoam cup on a string. If someone gets a finger in a prop, the cup can be used to catch the blood. ;^)

CR

Mart> >

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

How about a.... A flag? :)

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

refer to a good DIY =

Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Use a WIND SOCK! There's a reason for it: Wind Socks are designed to not only show wind direction, but also to show approximate wind VELOCITY by the amount of droop the Wind Sock averages out to be.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

On 4/5/2004 8:29 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Depending on the "sensitivity" of the other club members, you could find a pair of women's "bloomers" and use that. It definitely would be different :-)

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

A proper windsock mounted on a swivel frame gives both direction and windstrength. Flags wraps around poles and flap unreliably. Airplanes mounted on bearings don't give wind strength. 99% of all airports use windsocks, which says something. It ain't hard to make a swivel frame from 3/16" or 1/4" rod, and a sock from some bright nylon or polyester fabric. Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

Be sure to check the size of the "bloomers"..... A small town may not have enough wind......

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Better yet, mount the fusie of a Vought SB2-U Vindicator. This sub-par performing plane was dubbed by many of its pilots the Vind Indicator. Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

This also pertains to the Theory of Relativity, which states, "The angle of the dangle is relative to the mass of the a** and the beauty of the cutie". Sorry, couldn't resist. Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

We gave up on the windsock. It would only last for a few months. Built a tetrahedron about 4 ft long from thin aluminum and aluminum angles. It is mounted on a pole about 25 ft high. So far all it has needed in the last 7 or 8 years is a coat of paint. Bright yellow with black stripes. It won't give you the wind velocity, but it is sensitive enough to pick up the hot air emanating from the gallery in the shelter..

-- Red Scholefield AMA 951 Flying Gators Inc., GNV FL

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Small town not enough wind. In this small town we got so much hot air floating around we had to go around the corporation limits with tent stakes to keep the damn town from blowing away

tom

Reply to
tomb046

I tried socking the wind, I just broke wind instead. :>) We have a windsock on our flagpole. One of the kite guys makes a new one for us every year. Works good, except when the wind doesn't blow. Bill

Reply to
Bill

We have a real official windsock, where you can read out the wind by where on the striped sock it folds, it is not 100% accurate, but once you learn how many stripes on the sock your planes can handle, it is quite useful

Then again we have those "It's to windy to fly, lets put a stone in the windsock so it folds" guys...

Reply to
GuW

Yup.

Do recall the adage is "Break ground, fly into the wind", not the other way 'round. Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Ayone know where I can purchase a wind sock

-- KatManDE

this thread:

KatManDEW