wind and rudder steering. 3 days, 2 trees and 1 pole.

Just a ramble here,

I have this amazingly cheap setup for my current "second" plane, it's an accipiter badius (the name of some asian hawk who would probably want to peck someones tounge off if it found out what it's name wound up on) that I got for like $20 WITH tx, rx, esc, 380, servos, etc, and busted wings. To that I rubber banded on a $15 "aerobird extreme" (LOL) 55" wing from another experiment. Anyway it flies just fine when there is no wind, probably better than the original, though it climbs like snot.

The past few times out the wind has gotten the better of the plane. Well, todays pole incident was more my own bad distance call, I'll get to that. But two nights before I would guess the wind was gusting to 20. I started out ok, but got the nose up just a hair and was no longer in control, the wind took it SMACK into a tree. Nice crack in the middle of the wing, ah well time for some more epoxy. Next day wind was only about 12 or so, but it gently carried it sideways into a tree about 50 feet up, where I had to do the rope trick to wang it down.

I guess going from elevons to rudder/dihederal is a bit tricky. The added side area and the lack of bank authority really don't lend themselves to unpredictable wind conditions. Add in some obsticles and the results are predictable. I assume there is a skill level that would allow one to fly in such conditions with such a plane though, it is a poor musician who blames his instrument. Besides I'm sure there are rudder steer slopers.

Speaking of obsticles, this pole collision was something to see. It's dark now, and the field was closed when I got out, so I noticed an empty parking lot well off the road that had four decent sized lights. It's a little breezy, but that hasn't stopped me from trying yet. So I toss the crappiter up an make a few passes around the lights, just glad to be on the wing, and am just starting to get a good feel for this environment, i.e. how high I can go before I can't see the plane, etc. I make a turn at the far end of the lot and smack the right side of the wing into the top of the pole, and the thing flat spins ALL the way down and lands on it's belly (gyroscopic effect ? ;). I get a look and the wing looks fine, the new damage is hardly noticable and blends in very nicely with the existing dents/epoxy/tape. But the rudder was hanging on by the horn?!? I had extended the rudder with a piece of balsa and tape early on so that it would actually do something when I moved the lever, but it wasn't a *lot* of weight. I wonder if the cold was a factor. Ah well, time for more tape...

Reply to
Steve Banks

I have to refute your statement here. I have 8 grandchildren, and have to note that, while they have released much of it in the past, I have NEVER seen any quantity of snot actually FLY. It was/is generally eaten or spread on some nearby surface. Have you actually observed any quantity of it truly fly? In addition, your deprecatory comments concerning poles was truly unnecessary in this forum, and deeply hurtful to me, as my father was a pole, as were his parents. I hope we have seen the last of these kinds of comments, sir ;->

Reply to
Dan Wenz

Perhaps you have never been sitting in front of someone when they sneeze ;-)

Reply to
kodi946

... | > I have NEVER seen any quantity of snot actually FLY. >

... | | Perhaps you have never been sitting in front of someone when they | | sneeze ;-)

Snot more ... goes ballistic. And some planes do too.

To respond to the original poster --

| that I got for like $20 WITH tx, rx, esc, 380, servos, etc, and | busted wings.

Sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

| To that I rubber banded on a $15 "aerobird extreme" (LOL) 55" wing | from another experiment.

LOL? The Aerobird Extreme flies remarkably well for what it is (and what it is is the high end of the low end R/C `toys'.) Yes, it is still three channel, rudder+dihedral, but it turns well, has lots of power and flies a reasonably long time. And will do plenty of aerobatics (which is I guess why it's `extreme'.)

| though it climbs like snot.

Is that good or bad? :) In some metaphors, snot seems fast, but in others, it's not so fast.

| I guess going from elevons to rudder/dihederal is a bit tricky. The | added side area and the lack of bank authority really don't lend | themselves to unpredictable wind conditions.

In gusty winds and tight quarters, what you want is lots of control authority, and the reflexes/experience to use it. Ailerons/elevons are somewhat better than rudder+dihedral, but you can have a remarakably nimble plane that just uses rudder+dihedral too.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

And he's never heard of the "Farmer's Handkerchief." You plug one nostril with a thumb, and give a good blast out the other, being careful of the direction of flight. Distances of eight or ten feet are easily possible, depending on nostril caliber and viscosity of the projectile.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

Enjoyed the ramble, you tell a good tale and paint an evocative picture.

Perhaps stay away from poles, say aren't they used for dancing nowadays what they doing out in the open ?

Perhaps, and this may spoil the fun some... put some extra dihedral into the wing somehow... but then that would keep it away from the poles and it would be a shame to miss that dancing stuff.

If you just gotta do it then aim for trees and give poles a rest. Trees are amenable to shaking - poles aint, 'sides youmay hit some of us guys stood watching round those poles.

Reg

Reply to
reg

Grandchildren may not get the snot to fly but I have a Labrador/something mix that can send snot flying a good 10 feet or so without sneezing. Just don't be in the line of flight or you will get the slimy result. :) The sneezed snot goes even further but as it usually hits myself or the wife ( I think he thinks we are targets) distance has not been accurately measured.

Reply to
Black Cloud

I'm not into these types of planes but seems like if the wind if blowing

20 mph...Disaster is bound to happen. I've flown electrics for others that show up at the field and seems to me an electric or any plane without much power is goin' down or away....they just ain't got it.
Reply to
TX_QBALL

Hmm, I doubt a piece o'cake would have done much better. And slopers have NO engine and live for the wind.

I think this is more a function of light wing loading and lack of control authority, and my lack of skills and experience, not electric v/s gas. Sure you can power your way out of a lot of situations with some gassers AND with some electrics, but I'd like to explore the finesse route further.

It's windy (and cold) season here and I have no intentions of being grounded, so I'll be getting plenty of practice. The field has been amazingly unpopulated lately though, the guys around here need some disposable electric planes so they can keep me company (and maybe do some full contact combat :). Maybe they don't like standing in the cold while trying to coax the gassers to life, and while cleaning up after them. I'm sure they wouldn't even notice the cold if they spent the whole time flying, I don't. I don't even notice it when I'm occasionally picking up the pieces

8P.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Banks

Reg, you are awesome. Not many people can just blurt out something so nice. Thanks.

P.S. the field has been empty, so there aint nobody to hit 'cept myself :(

Reply to
Steve Banks

Aye... the wife reckons so too (or was I dreaming) >:-)

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered
Reply to