Batteries and charger dilemma

Hello, I'm brand new to this RC flying thing. Just purchased a used Easystar and discovered the 6 cell 7.2v NiCad batteries, even after cycling several times, will only give me about 3.5 minutes at full throttle. Now I suppose new battery packs are in order but I'm uncertain in which direction I should head. I have an older AstroFlight charger that will only do NiCads and the Hitec charger that came with the Easystar that will only do NiCads. So, do I buy a few inexpensive NiCad packs to get me off the ground and use my current chargers or do I go for NiMh packs and purchase a NiMh charger or go all the way with LiPo and a LiPo charger?

Tom in NJ

Reply to
Tom in NJ

It depends on how much you want to spend. Lipo's will give more performance per ounce, pound, or whatever weight unit you use. However, depending on how old the ESC is, you might have to buy a new one that can manage lipo's. The one you have might and it might not.

Easiest route is to get new NiCD's. Next easiest is to get new NiMH's and a new charger for them. More expensive is the Lipo's and charger and possibly new ESC to use the lipo's.

Your choice, What do YOU want to do?

Reply to
Vance Howard

I suspect that after a fairly short time you will "graduate" from the EasyStar (a good choice, by the way), and then you will want to get into something a bit more "serious". If you have the desire to get into glow fuel engines and planes after the EasyStar, I would give serious thought to moving to lithium based batteries and springing for a good charger and probably a new ESC.

However if your are just trying this hobby out, I'd buy a couple of new NiCd batteries and see what happens. Careful .......... this stuff is addictive!

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

If you are going to buy a charger anyway, get one that can handle all battery types. That way, you keep your options open. You could even use different battery types and fly them all.

Personally, I'd get LiPo batteries. They will give you about double the flight time for the same weight.

Reply to
Robert Roland

I don't think you'd need a new ESC. A 2S LiPo battery has a nominal voltage of 7.4V, which should be a drop-in replacement for a 6 cell Ni-based battery.

Reply to
Robert Roland

yes, go lipo and don't look back.

LVC is not essntial if you fly conservatively and don't drain the packs fully in air.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LVC?

Reply to
Tom in NJ

Low Voltage Cutout. This cuts the power to the motor when the voltage drops below a certain level ensuring you still have control over the aircraft's flight surfaces. Effectively it stops the batteries draining completely and leaving you with no radio control it also protects the batteries themselves from over discharge.

Reply to
GerryGerry

Low Voltage Cutoff.

The only way in which a 'Lipo Friendly' ESC differes from a 'Nickel friendly' one.

Nickel ESCs cut the motor at about 6v, Lipo ones should cut it at 3v

*per cell* or thereabouts.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher