Re: NiMh vs NiCd batteries

snipped-for-privacy@aol.community says...

I've been told (perhaps obsolete information) that NiMH batteries last about half the number of cycles as do NiCd. When I bought a new drill (a good drill with two batteries costs about the same as two batteries) I went with NiCd rather than NiMH. Few manufacturers were using NiMH, I'm told for this reason. In all other aspects NiMH are superior, though NiCds have improved a lot over the past decade.
--
Keith

I invented a method of recharging heart pacer batteries, similer to the way tooth brush batteries are recharged now. I did this while at TRW and TRW gave me permission to patent the idea on my own. The problem was that it cost to much to get a patent.
The reason I did not follow up on it was that, I discovered on investigation, the Charging of the nicad batteries in heart pacers was not the reason the batteries had to be replaced. It seemed that NI Cad batteries just do not last longer than 5 years.
Dr. Joe Schulman (We had been technicians at Litton together many years before) had discovered that the reason that the NIcad batteries did not last that long was because of impurities. If the battery could be produced with out impurities they would last a lot longer if not forever.
We used sintered anode NICads for satelites and they were produced in special ways to make them as pure as possible.
Last I heard of JOe was that he was working on a Balistic Galvonmeter at UCLA. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
NiCad batteries need to be cycled full charge and full drain. A pacer would not be a good application for this.
us:

No. GANGED NiCad batteries that do not have watchdog charging circuits on them need such handling. If circuits are in place to insure proper charging of a multi-cell battery pack... all is fine.
Memory effect is NOT an effect of an individual cell, it only happens to multi-cell ganged battery packs that are not modern enough to have charge monitoring and management circuitry in the pack..
snipped-for-privacy@notspam.com says...

DO you have a reference for this? I've never seen this as a requirement. The old "memory" is simply an ol' wive's tale, both for NiCd and NiMH. The real problem is reverse charging caused my draining a battery such that a weak-sister-cell goes negative. This is certain death to any NiCd or NiMH cell. Other than this, there is no significant "memory effect" anymore.
--
Keith

Never the less they are used in pacers. The ones in pacers I do not beleive are or were recharged. You would have to have an operation about every 5 years to replace the battery. Jo'e garbage (cant think of the word) free batteries were very pure and lasted longer. My idea was to place an induction coil under the bedding and recharge the battery while it was in your body. Now they do that with tooth brushes.
I wonder if Teledyne got the idea from me when I worked there. I did discuss my idea with people there. ?????????? . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
LioN batteries would be much better suited for this application. Longer life, resistant to staying charged, not requiring cycling and higher capacity /smaller size would make them ideal. Is the technology behind or there a medical reason for non-use of them I wonder. Perhaps because of the early ones exploding and blowing airplane cockpits apart? hmmmmmm....
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:26:52 -0400, Keith R. Williams

Such systems already exist.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr says...

Simply hype, from what I've been able to gather from the battery manufacturers.

YOu mean "multi-battery". Cells (one or more) make a battery.

mAh? You mean mA, surely! You're charging them at less than C/10, so while you may be baking them over the long-haul you won't wake up in an inferno. It's still a horrible thing to do to NiCds or NiMHs. They do *not* like to be baked.

Useless information. We have no idea what batteries you have. One can easily get AA NiCd batteries in this range. Crappy batteries are, well...

Sounds good, but makes little sense. Any decent portable (laptop?) is going to use some serious power. I don't see this being coupled with a "little coil". My laptop's powersupply is 72W. That's going to be tough to do with an open transformer.
--
Keith

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:32:04 -0400, Keith R. Williams

Absolutely incorrect. A single cell is a CELL. A plurality of cells (2 OR MORE, dipshit) is what defines a BATTERY.
The fact that it is common practice for people to call single cells batteries does NOT make the moniker correct.
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:29:09 -0400, Keith R. Williams

No, dipshit. One buys a cell if it is a single cell device, and then proceeds to incorrectly refer to it as a battery.

Yes. If it is a packaged, multi-cell device, THAT makes it a BATTERY. If it a single cell, it is, in fact no more than a CELL.
You can look up the word battery in as many ways as you wish, but you will not find it referring to a singularity of anything. If you do, it is some other twits continuation of the bullshit.

Nope. A nine volt battery IS a battery. A multi-cell car battery IS a battery. An "AAA", "AA", "C", and "D" cell is just a cell. Even the button cells are referred to this way.
Just because you, and many others use the "battery" moniker to refer to a single cell, doesn't make it a correct moniker, you retarded twit.
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:29:09 -0400, Keith R. Williams

Actually, it is you that proved this very thing about yourself.
I provided correct information which nearly ANY educated person in the field knows to be true. YOU went with the lay person bullshit, and then stood behind it with your baby invective. Problem is... you STILL lose as my statement is true.
Single cell packages are NOT batteries.
My other statement is true as well. YOU prove that YOU are one stupid fuck, boy... Every day.
On 08 Aug 2003 05:30:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.community (BUSHBADEE) Gave us:

Watch out, boy. I am in intimate connection with the earth. I could easily have a chat with the mantle, and it would oblige by having one of those smarter rocks *find* your house, from above.
snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org says...

I guess you should know about blobs...
--
Keith

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 22:19:54 -0400, Keith R. Williams

Yeah. I troll one, every day, and the Keith R. Williams BLOB TWIT keeps coming back for more.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.community says...

Sorry. I didn't intend to insult your stones.
--
Keith

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:32:04 -0400, Keith R. Williams

That doesn't mean that the laptop consumes the full rated power of the supply device, dipshit. DOH! You wouldn't know, or couldn't declare unless you actually tested the usage of the laptop itself, and that ONLY while it is fully up, and in a charging cycle.
Just disappointed how ugly this interesting exchange had turned into :-(
I meant to get quick answer from the experts, intelligent & educated professionals ... I did get answers and created a battle zone, WHY ?
Re the 1800 NiMh vs 800 mAh NiCd I mean to ask why the full charge of the 1800 mAh NiMh doesn't run the same gameboy at least twice as long as the 800 mAh NiCd , which in turn does last twice as long as the 600 mAh NiCd ?
As for HP next generation Desktop/Laptop combo, all you have to do check it out at their site.
At this quality exchange I won't be coming back to this group as often as I hoped.
Sorry I even started this thread, or perhaps you will have found whatever excuse to blow your tops off.
SGT
message de Gave us:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr says...

You didn't create it. You simply stepped in the middle after the battle had been brewing for some time. DimBulb is the resident nutcase. He comes by the moniker honestly.

Assuming they're all charged completely, the batteries aren't performing as their ratings suggest. The charge/discharge profiles of NiCd and NiMH cells is very similar, so that wouldn't account for the difference you're seeing.

You just stepped in the middle after the war started. Perhaps you got a little from both sides. ;-)
--
Keith

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:30:41 -0400, Keith R. Williams

You're a goddamned retard, boy.