Re: Underground Distribution Cable

I have paper references (it may be in the Standard Handbook of Electrical
Engineers). Have you tried big wire manufacturers like Southwire or perhaps
Perelli (spelling?)?
Charles Perry P.E.
Anyone have a URL for UD cable electrical characteristics? Specifically
> 15 kV and 35 kV cables' shunt capacitive reactance.
>
> Google has only found a few technical articles and none of them seem to
> agree on values to a degree that would give me confidence in them. >
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
> note to spammers: a Washington State resident
> Telemark: If it was easy, they'd call it snowboarding.
Reply to
Charles Perry

Might help. Numbers are given as impedences (symmetric components).
Charles Perry P.E.
Reply to
Charles Perry
> I_1WEB.PDF
Specifically
This equation is from EPRI's Underground Transmission Systems Reference Book:
c = [(7.354 * e )/ log (Di/Dc)] * 10^-13 microfarads per 1000 ft (note log base 10, not ln)
with e = 2.3 for XLPE and Di the outer diameter in inches and De the diameter of the inner conductor in inches
I get 9.24 kohm per mile
I have a brother in the wire business. I will see what he says.
Charles Perry P.E.
Reply to
Charles Perry
Thanks. Someone sent me a URL to an Austrailian cable company. Although their dimensions are different, applying the equation gives me numbers within a few percent of their tabulated data
. So it looks like the equations are working.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
Try
Gene S. Snider
Good luck finding any technical data on that site. I even registered and cannot get any technical data for URD. You have to request it from them via email or telephone. Poor website design.
Charles Perry P.E.
Reply to
Charles Perry