suggestion for EP sailplane ARF

I was hoping someone could recommend a ARF electric sailplane. The two major concerns are good covering and ease of final assembly. Please recommend where I can get it online as I am returning to the hobby after a long hiatus and am not up to speed on what's available where. Thanks, BillTheSlink

Reply to
BillTheSlink

In news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, BillTheSlink pecked:

Hobby Lobby has a large selection of ARF electrics.

See

Dave Thompson

Let me throw a couple more considerations at you:

  1. Do you want aileron control?
  2. How big can it be (does it fit in the car)?
  3. Do you want it to have thermalling potential?
  4. Do you want fancier controls like flaps/spoilers/speed brakes...
  5. Do you have existing servos/equipment that you want to potentially reuse (i.e. some standard size servos sitting in a drawer and a 4 channel radio)?
  6. Do you have a budget?
Reply to
Steve Banks

Thanks for the reply.

  1. Aileron control would be nice but it is not a must have.
  2. The bigger the better but it has to fit in my station wagon.
  3. Yes I want to thermal.
  4. No fancy controls; let's keep it simple.
  5. Yes I have a standard 4 channel radio withe four standard servos I want to use.
  6. I would like to do it as cheaply as possible but still have a nice looking plane.
Reply to
BillTheSlink

| Thanks for the reply. | 1. Aileron control would be nice but it is not a must have.

It's not really a big deal. As long as the plane has plenty of dihedral (and many gliders do), they'll fly pretty much the same with ailerons as with just a rudder.

| 2. The bigger the better but it has to fit in my station wagon.

Then you probably have room for a massive 12'+ plane then. However ...

| 3. Yes I want to thermal.

To be fair, all sailplanes can thermal. (Any plane can thermal, actually.) But the lighter the plane is, the better it is at it. But the ligher it is, the less it can handle wind ...

| 4. No fancy controls; let's keep it simple.

Actually, spoilers are nice to have. If the plane is a good floater, it can be hard to bring it down on a good day. And they're not really that fancy -- though if your radio only has four channels, and your plane is electric, you really don't have a good place to put them, unless you put it on the stick where the rudder normally is (and your plane doesn't have both rudder and ailerons.)

| 5. Yes I have a standard 4 channel radio withe four standard servos I | want to use.

That limits what you get considerably. You'll want something on the larger side if you use standard servos.

| 6. I would like to do it as cheaply as possible but still have a nice | looking plane.

Well, once you get much above 2m, the price starts going way up with an electric. But most 2m gliders use servos smaller than standard sized nowadays, so you might want to replace them. But they're getting pretty cheap nowadays.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Multiplex Easy Star

Reply to
aeropal

That might sound like a joke, but during the "no excuses" class LMR competition at SEFF Thursday an Easy Star did pretty well...

PCPhill

href="

">Multiplex> Easy Star

Reply to
PCPhill

Well, Tower has the electra and the spectra, both of which are rudder steer and about $100 in arf form, that is about the smallest I would put standard servos in. I saw an Apex on the site Abel reccomended which was bigger (and a bit cheaper) and claims a 20 minute build time:

If you have an extra $100, the ellipsoid has ailerons and a lot more wing:

You will have to buy a prop and motor for the dymond planes FYI. You will need a battery pack and ESC (speed control) for any of the planes mentioned above.

Reply to
Steve Banks

Has anyone used their Maxi brushless motors? They are very short on useful information on thier site. I am looking for a reasonably priced brushless setup for a 2-3lb sport plane.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I was looking at the MAXI motors. I bought a Hyperior outrunner. I think it is called a 2213. Under two OZ. flies a 2 lb plane straight up with a 9-6 on 3 cell lipo.

I think Helmut (Dymond) is very helpful. There is not a lot of info on his site, and my Hyperion did not come with ANY LITTERATURE, I got it from BPP. Helmut has a pile of ARFs. I bought one and will say good quality. If you need a lot of assistance, I would suggest your LHS or club would hold your hand, so buy some stuff from the LHS too, OK?

Reply to
BEA flyer