Futaba 6EX, 7C and TM-7 Service Advisory- Updated 01/30/08

Futaba 6EX, 7C and TM-7 Service Advisory- Updated 01/30/08

This service advisory affects only owners of the Futaba TM-7 module and 6EX and 7C FASST systems. Each FASST transmitter contains a unique eight digit identification code, programmed at the factory to identify the respective transmitter and to allow a receiver to be paired only to that radio's signal. Recently we have learned that a very small number of the TM-7 modules, and 6EX and 7C FASST systems were incorrectly coded with a common code number during the manufacturing process. These units were subsequently sold prior to our awareness of the situation.

If two or more units, utilizing this common identification code, were to be in use simultaneously, they may cause interference with one another. Please note: Units which utilize the correct identification code will not be affected by these units.

We're extremely confident that this is not a widespread problem. However, to catch any possible incorrectly coded units in the field and to give you peace of mind that your system is not affected, we have set up test stations at participating hobby shops throughout the country where you will be able to determine -- within a matter of minutes -- whether or not your transmitter is affected, at no charge to you. There are 100 such Test Stations in place now, and the number will be increased to 500 over the next two to three weeks. Please see:

for a listing of these testing stations. Or, if you prefer, you may send it in to our service center and we will analyze it for you at no charge. If any problem is found, it will be replaced. We will gladly pay the postage for returning the unit and sending it back to you.

If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our Futaba Service Center at: 217-398-0007 or via email at: snipped-for-privacy@futaba-rc.com. Our staff is available to you Monday-Friday,

8am-5pm U.S. Central Standard Time.

Precautionary Measures and Information-

It is important to note that the precautionary measures are relevant only to the Futaba FASST items with serial numbers as described below. To determine if your transmitter might be affected, look on the bottom of the transmitter case. If using the TM-7 module, the serial number is located on the inside portion of the module:

6EX: A7xxxxxxx without the "I" (Inspected) sticker 7C 07xxxxxxx without the "I" (Inspected) sticker TM-7 07xxxxxx without the "I" (Inspected) sticker

The precautionary measures do not apply to systems that utilize a serial number as noted below:

6EX ALL A8xxxxxxx or systems with the A7xxxxxxx serial number which include the "I" (Inspected) sticker 7C ALL 08xxxxxxx or systems with the 07xxxxxxx which include the "I" (Inspected) sticker TM-7 ALL 08xxxxxx or modules with the 07xxxxxx which include the "I" (Inspected) sticker

1) As with all radio control equipment, we strongly suggest that you pre-flight your aircraft thoroughly prior to flying. When flying at a location with other FASST owners, prior to flying we suggest that all pilots briefly activate their systems simultaneously to check for any interaction between units. If any interactions should occur, do NOT fly. Return the unit to the Futaba Service Center for immediate replacement.

2) Each time that your transmitter is turned on, it is imperative that you allow the FASST system an adequate amount of time to thoroughly boot-up completely before shutting down the transmitter. After the battery voltage appears on the LCD, we recommend allowing the system to remain on at least one (1) additional second prior to turning off the power to the transmitter.

3) If the transmitter and receiver have lost their binding which required them to be re-linked, we recommend returning them to the Futaba Service Center for analysis. This is not expected behavior and should be investigated accordingly.

begin 666 nc3=5170400.dat K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Red Scholefield

This makes my blood boil. If we have to check for radio interaction (assuming that the units were checked for the ID problem) what is the point of having the 2.4 GHz radios?

Regards, Jerry

Reply to
gjesion

This service advisory is totally misleading also. _ Any_ FASST system can have its GUID reset to zero by cycling the power switch too quickly. (As, for instance, when checking voltage of the TX battery) Then you will have to rebind to your receivers. Then you will be bound to any RX that has never been bound to a TX, or to any RX that has been bound to a zero GUID system. Potentially, all systems could be shooting each other down...

misc_poster

Yes. Anyone with one of these systems should as well as anything else READ the links above. And one or two others in the same general area.

You may then make up your OWN minds.

Personally I think Futaba are being as economical with the truth as they can be. Thats to be expected, but caveat emptor.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher