Vinyl Film Advice

I just found a little shop close to my home which sells rolls (and end cuts) of larger rolls of cast vinyl film which is self adhesive (not heat activated) on one side. It looks like interesting stuff for trim,numbers, letters, etc. that might give an ARF a little different look, or that could be used in finishing a kit. Just for experimentation I bought about fifteen linear feet of a six inch wide end cut roll in dark blue and applied it to the film on a wing half I had laying around from a crash. I cleaned the old wing with alcohol, sprayed the area lightly with Windex, cut a 4 inch wide stripe for the bottom of the wing, set it down and squeegeed the Windex out. Seems like it will stay on, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this kind of stuff and if there are other tips in working with it.

I don't know if the adhesive used on the vinyl is fuel-proof, so I applied some 10% Sig fuel to a couple of test stripes. So far, I don't think there is much attack, but its only been about eight hours. However I'm thinking that applying a little clear lacquer around the edges might be a good idea.

Seems to me that someone (Bill Fullmer?) posts on this group once in a while and works with vinyl. Maybe he would be helpful in giving me some tips or simply information. But I'm interested in anyone else's experience with the self adhesive vinyl material

Bill, if you are reading this, please let me know how to get in touch with you. If the stuff works, then I'd like to look into you doing some numbers and letters for me. I don't think I want to be cutting out letters and numbers. Circles, stripes and other simple geometries I can probably handle, but lettering is not something I know much about.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

I have used this for years, as for letters, no big deal either. Just make up what you need, print it out, then apply to face of the vinyl film with artists removable spray adhesive, cut out letters with Xacto knife, peal off paper and backing and apply to your plane. For larger letters only peal off part of the baking and then position the letter pealing of more backing as you go.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield