alternative push-rod setups for park-flyers?

i try to give my LHS business, but they have non-existent pushrod selections for park-flyers and other lightweights.

ordering online is like $8 shipping for $2 of stuff.

in this case i need stuff for a rudder and i was thinking i could rig up some sort of DIY pull-pull system, but the servo's location makes this impossible.

so i'm wondering if anyone can suggest locally sourced materials and setups that can be appropriate for light-weight pushrod setups.

Reply to
wamanning

Real, honest-to-goodness hardware stores often carry music wire, or, of course, a music store carries it. Spray can nozzle extension tubes can be used as guides for small wire.

You can also obtain free flexible cable from junk throttle cables at lawn and garden equipment repair shops. Bigger sizes are available in the scrap bins at bicycle shops.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

You might want to re-do the servo mount and go with your pull-pull system anyway, since it is the lightest. I sometimes just use balsa sticks for real light stuff, provided the rod isn't too long.

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@email.com wrote:

Reply to
Bozett95

Bozett95 wrote in news:rpari.30006 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

FYI, "real light stuff" goes up to the .25-powered Sig Seniorita, which (per plans) has balsa pushrods. I've flown several Snitas with the balsa pushrods and they've worked fine.

I've used balsa pushrods on several of my small electrics, with good success. If you can get your hands on some .025 music wire and decent

1/8" or 3/16" square balsa . . . maybe a little heat-shrink tubing for the ends . . .

Dowel is more available than balsa, but ounce-for-ounce you'll get a much stiffer (but bulkier) system from balsa.

Of course, the pull-pull has the potential to be the lightest system, although there are arguably more ways to screw up a pull-pull.

How big is your plane?

Reply to
Mark Miller

on the light side.