Need broken Starrett 731 digi-mics

Does anyone happen to have a broken Starrett digital micrometer of the 731 series? I've discovered that they are too old for Starrett to stock any replacement parts, and I've got a failure in mine -- either in the liquid crystal display, or in the electronics driving it -- with no easy way to tell which it is.

Ideally, what I need is one where the spindle has been ground, or the thimble has been caught in a press or vise, but the electronics section is still intact. That will let me substitute to find out which part has failed in mine.

The symptoms are that the right-hand bars of the thousandth's digit remain off no matter what.

I've tried the usual tricks such as cleaning off the contact surfaces and the conductive rubber strip, and even swapping it end-for-end, and always the same segments remain inactive, so I am limited to one of those two parts.

I hate to totally retire the mic, as it has been a very nice one (even though I just received a newer version from an eBay auction which offers extra features, such as easy "limits" measurements.) This one just feels too good to retire totally. (Yes, I could just use the thimble and barrel graduations, but it does not have the "tenths" vernier, and I've gotten spoiled by being able to switch between metric and inch modes at need.

I doubt that anyone would put a broken micrometer on eBay and so identify it, so asking around here strikes me as the better route.

Thanks much, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols