Larry Jaques?

You get the Ryobi battery reconstituted? Out of the bits of the 2? Inquiring minds want to know....Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:53:13 -0800, "patrick mitchel" calmly ranted:

Newp, not yet. I've had too many other things/projects on my mind, tables, benches, and floors lately. The packs are sitting on my kitchen countertop, so they won't be in the way too much longer. Luckily, I'm a bachelor so I'm not getting hit by them. ;)

The one replacement pack lasts umpteen times longer than these two dead packs did toward the end, so I'm getting by quite nicely. I also put a half inch Jacobs chuck (no, not a real one, a $9.95 job from HF) on my old B&D corded drill recently, while waiting for the replacement pack.

Maybe I should do that 'battery thing' right now...

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:53:13 -0800, "patrick mitchel" calmly ranted:

So far, so good. The solder wick worked well and the refurbed (3 replacement cells from the other pack) battery is on the charger now. I pulled it off and it runs the drill motor at full speed and torque for a few seconds (until my hand heats up). I'll pull it off later and use it today and tomorrow. That should tell me if it's going to work. I have 5 spare cells left, so...

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Good deal, don't expect miracles- ain't gonna be an "a" pack. The weak cell is gonna drag down the pack but you should get some mileage out of the thing. I frankensteined a pack for a black and decker that someone gave up on the job I used to work- when I tried to locate who owned it - no joy so i figgered I had a cordless. Yabbut it needed brushes, new battery, switch work. I can see why the guy left it behind. The cells I got from american scientific that was selling used 7.2v packs of subc cells. Had to replace about half of the cells and the thing still works when needed- with single speed isn't much. But adding stuff to the waste side of life bugs me, so it's still kickin. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:49:08 -0800, "patrick mitchel" calmly ranted:

Day 2: My 14.4 pack's still kickin' at full bore. By Jove, I think she's going to make it!

I've always been amazed at the length of charge on the little Skil

9.6v drill my folks gave me a decade ago. It runs for months at a time doing light-duty service. I keep it around for drilling while I use the Ryobi for screwing/countersinking/larger bores that won't fit in the cheaparse 8" HF drill press. That Skil battery won't seem to die, either. I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Did the skil have an overnight charger? mebbe the slow charge along with the slow charge batteries(they have nicads that are meant to be slow charged and can be killed by a vigorous charger) means long life. I had some nicads that went back to the 70's when I first used them and finally retired the last one a month ago- thats a long life. Perhaps the QC was better then . Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:08:36 -0800, "patrick mitchel" calmly ranted:

Yes, it does, but that also means it doesn't have the float circuit which is supposed to protect the newer batt packs.

Could be.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques