Power hack saw questions

Picked up a home built powerhack saw for nothing, needed a motor which I have. Mounted motor and all is well but..... My motor will spin either way, whats the correct way. The "crank and rod" that drive the saw arm go level with the arm at the bottom of the swing and pull/push over the top.

Which direction should the rod be going when it's level , pushing the blade and then pull over the top, or pulling the blade and push over the top.

Which direction do the teeth go and why.

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

"Dave August" (clip) Which direction should the rod be going when it's level , pushing the blade and then pull over the top, or pulling the blade and push over the top.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It sounds like the (home) builder left out one important feature. There should be a ratchet mechanism which limits the downward pressure on the blade on the return stroke. If that's not there, blade wear will be excessive. To make the best of the situation, turn the blade so the connecting rod is pushing upward on the return stroke. It probably doesn't matter which way the motor turns, as long as you make sure the upward push occurs on the return stroke.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman