Leasing industrial space for hobby use

Has anyone tried renting industrial space for hobby use? My little one-car garage just doesn't cut it anymore. Do the leasing companies only deal with business entities? Has anyone done this before? Any pitfalls? I know insurance might be difficult to obtain, but I'm not sure about anything else.

Reply to
AL

Hi Al,

I basically did that this month. I found a nice little place with 400sq feet less then 1 mile from my home. I am in the process of making it the way I want right now. I was able to have the electrical bill added to my current home account. I use my cell phone as my main phone anyway so did not need a phone line. I might be adding cable for a internet connection. If the city tax collector says you have to have a business license explain it is just your storage area.

It is a real pleasure being able to have my tools and work out of the house :)

Good luck,

Reply to
V8TR4

As a Pro I have been renting Ind. space for years and the bottom line is Pay the rent That is all these folks want. Money talks and BS walks

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Speaking as a landlord who rents industrial space, I don't care if you are commercial or hobby as long as you can demonstrate to me that you can pay the rent over the lease term, will actually occupy and regularly use the space so I can worry less about vandals, not damage the property and not do something to get the EPA or the DEA down on me.

For sure I would rather have a hobby mach> Has anyone tried renting industrial space for hobby use? My little one-car

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

IME *industrial* rents are quoted triple-net (net-net-net), and the costs on top (including RE taxes, utilities, etc.) can be a bit of a surprise to the hapless tenant. You may get more stuff included if the area is sublet or very small.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That is true when you talk about more than a couple thousand square feet bit there is usually a lot of space in the range suitable for small shops rented on a gross rent basis. You do need to know exactly who is responsible for what on commmercial space. It is not the same as renting an apartment. As Spehro says, some leases make the tenant responsible for everything including fire insurance and taxes. Others the landlord pays taxes, insurance on the structure, maintains the roof and the hot water heater. Tenant pays all the other expenses. Still others, everything but janitorial srevice is included. There are all sorts of combinations.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Hey! don't throw those chemicals away, us hobbyists could use them :-)

Reply to
ATP

You bet!

Right now there seems to be a glut of vacant industrial space on the market so you can pretty much find something that is tailored to your needs.

I rent a 2,000 Sq. Ft. space and I love it.

Large overhead door plus a loading dock. 200 amp 3-phase service. And now I can park in my garage again.

As for insurance: you might need liability insurance. If so, call your insurance broker and get a quote.

George.

Reply to
George

The NNN leases are dependant on the market. In times of high vacancy, landlords are happy to find a qualified tenant with a simple rental agreement.

In some complexes, hobby shops are the preferred tenant as they might be short on parking spaces and they really don't want to umpire parking disputes.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

That would explain it.

Wife and I didn't have anything but a house. I went looking to rent space. Around the corner was a ratty 4 bay with a small storage area. Guy wanted $500 a month, I pay all expenses.

I shit my pants.

We got a loan and built a garage/ shop that can hold 6 cars (tightly). It will be all mine in less than 7 years.

Reply to
Mark

If it's going to take seven years to get it built, I would find a different contractor.

).

Reply to
CW

Oh yeah, another huge benefit for nuts like us, in a commercial property no one is going to complain if you are working at 3am and running a table saw. Well except for the guys who live in a store room someplace in one of your neighbors companies, but they aren't supposed to be there anyway :)

Reply to
V8TR4

The key to all real estate value is location. A location with any exposure to customer trafic will rent for considerably more than a back alley shop regardless of condition.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Speaking as a tenant and the owner of a small business, finding the right landlord and the right space is the hardest thing about setting up a business. In the past five years I've had two serious threats to put me out on the street, and right now I'm in a battle because the landlord's heating contractor did a bunch of unauthorized work and they're trying to stick me with the bill, plus a $35 "management fee" if you can believe it. You'll hear lots of horror stories. The bottom line is: if you hear a little voice telling you not to deal with someone - walk! And whatever you do, don't take a space on "month-to-month" if you plan on doing any major work there. Good to see Steve Knight from the "oldtools network" on the list!

regards,

Matt Turner Turner Racing Shells Ltd.

Matthew Turner

You misunderstand.

At this time the garage and house are Ours and the Credit Unions.

Pay off is in less than 7 years. Then it's Mine, All Mine! Well, except for Wives parking spot and a few shelves.

Reply to
Mark

If your SO is like mine and you are letting her use some of the space in

7 years she will have squeezed you out and you will be back in the regular garage. :-)
Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:39:35 -0700, AL wrote (in message ):

I rented a "stall" in a segmented warehouse a number of years ago It had a steel walkthrough door and a 12 foot roll up, about 800 ft^2. I had to get my own 220 power run in since it only had a single shared 110v 15A circuit which cost about $600. Rent on the space was about $200/month (no other utilities). They didn't really care what I did, just as long as rent was paid. Others had small machine shops, chile roasting/packaging, potato chip distributor, etc.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

That's what you think ... it will actually belong to the local taxing authority. Try not paying them and see how much your "ownership" counts. :(

Reply to
Swingman

Just for calibration purposes:

For another project I checked with a local real estate guy on warehouse space. valid for the Minnneapolis area:

Standard office warehouse space in the suburbs, off in some industrial park, you've seen them, tiny reception area, larger office, smaller office, store room, 30' wide, 90' deep, Loading dock in back, 4" floors, 220 power but not 3 phase. $4 a square foot per YEAR for the warehouse space, $10 a square foot per year for the office, figure $6 per foot blended. 2700 feet would be around $16000/year or $1350 per month. I've seen small distributors, woodworking shops, machine shops, fabricators, assemblers, etc in these spaces.

Another outfit subdivides this > Has anyone tried renting industrial space for hobby use? My little one-car

Reply to
Roy J

Understood, Mom got her real estate license in the latter 60's and her brokers license in the earlier '70s. I haven't worked the profession but I sure as hell witnessed it.

While the 'shop' I referenced was in a decent location it was something you would find on a back alley. Uneven floors, damp, rickety doors, something from Stump Town.

Reply to
Mark