polar Lights Space coupe Need your Help

I'm finally going to the one that i've had here since they were re-issued. I really want to cut out the three ''Windows'' in the back. Well 'm guessing they're Windows anyway atleast. I've tried Looking on the Web and can't seem to find much help at all of any kind. I know lots of you will just think that it's a silly subject not for serious modelers but I would really like to have your collective Help and Suggestions with this little Modeling Project

Does anyone Know (from the Dick Tracy Comic Strip) if there a Doorway or Hatch into the Space Coupe and on what side I really just can't remember it back that far Back anymore. My having lived thru the

60-&-70's has taken it's toll of Brain Cells

I want to make some type of a interior for the Space Coupe. The poor thing is Just Sooooo Empty inside that it just Screams to me to make an Interior for it. I can not seem to find anything on the Strip from the 60's when they were running all the Moon Maid stuff can anyone tell me or perhaps find out if there's any information for the Space Interior was ever shown in the Strip. Such as Control Panels and Pilot Area Seats or the number of Seats.

The size of the People seem to indicate that it might be passable for H.O. scale that alone has Lots-n-Lot of possibilities

Or could I just go crazy and do something Totally Alien'' looking for the Inside of the Crew Section of this Ship. I have to say that it would be really Great to 'Go-Nuts' and just Create an Alien Looking Interior

I please hope that some of you will enjoy offering me your Help and Suggestions with this Cute and Fun Filled little Project

thanks very very much

... Carl ..........

,
Reply to
cyberborg 4000

I ~vaguely~ seem to remember a doorway on the port side about halfway back, but really don't remember any interior drawings. But then our newsrag dropped Dick Tracy maybe twenty-five years ago. Why don't you mount in an interior similar to an executive jet (two seats forward, and a bunch of seats lining the sides? Or watch a couple of Stargate: Atlantis episodes and model the interior along the lines of a Jumper?

Reply to
The Old Man

Reply to
eyeball

This shows a door on the starboard side:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

You see how thick the door is on that thing?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Hey, I bought one. ;-) The Vietnam War had a real effect on the model companies; as the war grew more unpopular, military model kits suffered a sales decline. So companies were scrambling to come up with new ideas for kits that would sell to kids, and since that thing was very easy to manufacture a kit of and was fairly well known, they probably figured "What the hell? Give it a try." I was very let down by it also; it really does need a interior.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

For the life of me,why did Aurora put this out?,I never knew anything on Trace Dickey,what a lousy choice for a model item.And getting to Polar Lights,all they did was piss 7 dick with what they had!,the ones you would look at were o.k.,but not really for you,then a few years later youfind out there were models thart were pretty good,but,not made anymore.And don't get me going on availability in retail stores.

Reply to
teem

[...]

60's when they were running all the Moon Maid stuff can anyone tell me or perhaps find out if there's any information for the Space Interior was ever shown in the Strip. Such as Control Panels and Pilot Area Seats or the number of Seats. The size of the People seem to indicate that it might be passable for H.O. scale that alone has Lots-n-Lot of possibilities Or could I just go crazy and do something Totally Alien'' looking for the Inside of the Crew Section of this Ship. I have to say that it would be really Great to 'Go-Nuts' and just Create an Alien Looking Interior I please hope that some of you will enjoy offering me your Help and Suggestions with this Cute and Fun Filled little Project thanks very very much =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0... Carl .......... , I ~vaguely~ seem to remember a doorway on the port side about halfway back, but really don't remember any interior drawings. But then our newsrag dropped Dick Tracy maybe twenty-five years ago. Why don't you mount in an interior similar to an executive jet (two seats forward, and a bunch of seats lining the sides? Or watch a couple of Stargate: Atlantis episodes and model the interior along the lines of a Jumper?

Thank you that's a Great Idea about the Star Gate Atlantis Puddle Jumper. I like watching that on Sci-Fi. They've got a very impressive yet pretty Simple Interior section to them. I would just Love for them to make a Modle of Oneof Those.

I'm going to Send that Suggestion off in an e~mail to the ''Moebius'' people who pic up the Tourch from the Polar Lights Line at

I got a flyer from them when I had gone to the Chiller Convention back in October.

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

Those are windows and that's the front of the Space Coupe. The two small circular things below them are headlights.

Two of use linked to a image from the strip showing a door set into the starboard side of the Space Coupe (using the end with the windows as the front):

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

i suspect the tracy taxi would looke right with 2 pilot's seats and a space with a closet, a loo and some bench seats. can't imagine that bus being complex or sophisticated.

Reply to
someone

Well,theres a ''war'' going on now,where are all the ________ models?.

Reply to
teem

And look what's back again:

goes around, comes around. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

True. If you want to put a few auxiliary craft on it, Tracy at the time also used one-man flying craft for city patrol. They looked like a tall laundry hamper or narrow trashcan -a bit below chest-high and wide enough for a man to stand in- with what looked like the top of crutches coming up under the armpits (controls? safety system?)

Reply to
Jack Bohn

Not sure about the scale of the Space Coupe, but in the Airfix Astronauts Figures set, there are two one-man and two two-man flyers. These aren't what Gould envisioned, but are (from what I was told) actual NASA designs for potential lunar flight, although never built.

Reply to
The Old Man

(Pat=A0Flannery) wrote: teem wrote: For the life of me,why did Aurora put this out?I never knew anything on Trace Dickey what a lousy choice for a model item. Hey, I bought one. ;-) The Vietnam War had a real effect on the model companies; as the war grew more unpopular, military model kits suffered a sales decline. So companies were scrambling to come up with new ideas for kits that would sell to kids, and since that thing was very easy to manufacture a kit of and was fairly well known, they probably figured "What the hell? Give it a try." I was very let down by it also; it really does need a interior. Pat

_______ ________ _________

I was Living in Boston in the Early to Mid 70's when the City was Full of Protests and this is the First Time that i'm hearing that the War had an effect like that on the Military Kits that way. But then I was in a habit of buying 1 or 2 Kits every 2 weeks back then. One was usually a Car Kit or a similar type of Kit like that. And the Other One was most Always some kind of Tank

I find it a very Interesting Subject to Build because it is just Soooooo Hollow Inside. It's Like a Blank Canvas is to a Painter it's empty the possibilities are Endless. Just cut out the Windows -n- put in some Clear Plastic. Then Go Nuts building an Interior

I thought of making it LooK a little like the Spindrift with a Pilot Cabin and Bulkhead and a separate Passenger Compartment Think that would be a Good Look for it..?

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

It's in a larger scale than that. Around 1/60th IIRC. There's data on the manned lunar fliers here:

's the Airfix one. These are also in the Airfix kit:
's another one similar to the Airfix kit of the two man one:
last looks somewhat similar to the Dick Tracy fliers

Pat.

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Not just models, all war toys. Then the model companies tried to appeal to hippies with hilarious results:

thing that hurt the model industry at the time was the threat of kids sniffing glue to get high, which also cut badly into sales. Wanna' see a real war toy? My friend has one of these in really good shape:
boys in Vietnam needed this thing...they could have shot antitank projectiles right up Charlie's rear end.

And stick a flashing red LED in the top beacon, with a vacuform cover over it. As to who they expected to pull over in space for speeding is a very good question.

Maybe a little too advanced looking; but Polar Lights used to make a Spindrift kit in around that scale also:

is a police vessel, so it should be well stocked with donuts, have smashed cigarette butts on the floor, and the Moonmaid figure from the kit in a jail cell in the back, arrested for suspected prostitution:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

speaking of spin, i'd love a model of a city moving by spindizzys. even scranton.

Reply to
someone

fans of the office? gag, barf, retch. i reccomend james blish's wonderfull anthology cities in flight. read it before you check the date and be dazed. may be tough to find but it is around. maybe even the library. i'm lucky to have the magazine serial's, first editions and first anthology, my all time fave garage sale score.

Reply to
someone

Scranton came closest to moving when all those people descended on it for the "Office" fan convention. That probably brought more people downtown than have been there in 10 years. Waiting for the call from Mr Kranick..........;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller