Reissued Hawk Space Models

On a lark, I contacted the resurrected Hawk model company, and asked if they had any plans to reissue their kits of the Convair Atlas orbiting space station and the Vanguard satellite. They said if they can locate the molds _they do_ intend to reissue them. That would be a real blast from the past! :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

That would be cool. And if I remember right, one of the cooler models I built was their Lockheed T-33 trainer. While T-33s were not very exciting in of themselves, that was about the time I began to notice girls. Ah the fantasies a 7th grader could have of whisking the hottest 9th grader in the jr. high school off in his private T-33 to the Bahamas for . . .

John

Reply to
John

(Pat=A0Flannery) wrote: '' On a lark, I contacted the resurrected Hawk model company, and asked if they had any plans to reissue their kits of the Convair Atlas orbiting space station and the Vanguard satellite. They said if they can locate the molds _they do_ intend to reissue them. That would be a real blast from the past! :-) ''

Does anybody here know when these Kits just might be back on the shelves at the local hobby store so we could get a few.

... cyberborg ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

That one was available in an aluminized version- very nice. I had just washed out of AF pilot training at the time, and the Squadron commander had a personal T-33 that was kept very highly polished which the Hawk kit simulated nicely.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I think the part of the sentence "if they can locate the molds" probably means no time soon

Reply to
eyeball

have to be inventoried, it could be in a few weeks, if the molds are intact and usable or much, much longer if a portion are missing or in the condition of some of the old Strombecker molds that Nick Argento bought for Glencoe.

Reply to
The Old Man

It also depends on which end of the warehouse you start from. They might be in the second bay down or at the far end of the building.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It would be interesting if they reissued their chromed aircraft models; that F-104 and P-47 in particular were very striking.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

By the time they got around to the later releases in their series of their chromed kits they had etched some of the panels in the mold so that they had a two-toned appearance as far as the brightness of the plating went; this made for a very realistic effect.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Since they are still looking for the molds, it will probably be a while.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Those ended up being very popular as "squadron hack" aircraft also, due to the pleasant flying characteristics and easy maintenance. They used to have one down at the Fargo, ND ANG base.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

That Disney space station model needed a lot of sanding to get smooth; it had obviously suffered corrosion.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I also contacted Lindberg about the giant 1/8th scale dragster kit they are reissuing. I had a ball building one of these as a kid. Apparently about the only change is the bodies (there were two separate ones in the original kit, so you could do it front or rear engined IIRC) on the reissue are now going to be in white, rather than the red and green metal flake ones of the original. They stated this was requested by modelers to make them easier to paint in whatever colors they chose.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

what email did you use for them? i would like to ask them some stuff, too. thanks.

Reply to
someone

When I was working for the AF at Hamilton AFB the 84th FIS had a T-33 hack. Well maintained if a bit worn inside. I was able to fly her a dozen times as desk-bound pilots had to keep their flying time up to date. I was never able to talk my way into time in the squadron F-106B, though.

Spent the last two days workng on and displayng the Pacific Coast Air Museum T-33. This one spent forty years in desert storage before we obtained it. We completed the canopy jack installment last week. Before that we used muscle and a long piece of white PVC pipe, not very attractive. It still needs tweaking. Ended up using a pair of vice grips to crank the canopy down as the socket wrench we were using stripped out. Next comes the battery so that we won't wear out the hand crank.

When she's done the paint job shall be for the 84th FIS T-33 that I was assigned to. The red/white/blue lightning stripes on the tail and wingtip tanks are quite striking. Two .50s are planned for the nose and we are restoring an original underbelly cargo pod. We have an engine, but it's currently used for the engine display at the museum.

I have the Heller and Hasegawa T-33s and I'm accumulating all of the aftermarket details. Have the Scalemaster F-106 decals for the tail emblems and maybe the lightning bolts, although I'll probably paint the latter. Anybody have comments on the kits? I tend to like the Heller kit better.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

That old Hawk F-104 was good for it's day, but Monogram issued a nice one back in the 80s and Hasegawa released a Zipper in the late 90s that is a real beauty. Hawk's old T-33 is real sweet though except fot the interior. As far I know, the molds for the old Hawk airplanes are owned by Testors. In my local hobby shop I noticed that the old Hawk "Weirdos" line was reissued by the new Hawk model company. I wonder what will happen to the molds that Testors owns. I'd love to see the MOL issued once again!

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

Last week the Graf Zeppelin was in as well. I'm toying with getting it, but the size and the price are two reasons that I haven't yet.

Reply to
The Old Man

You and me both, I want two of them in fact.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Glaze my nipples and call me Shirley, when I first saw the subject line, I was thinking of Space:1999...

Reply to
Scott Hedrick

It would finally give me the opportunity to finish one well, unlike the around three I had as a kid. For any of the youngsters around here who don't know what we are talking about, it's this kit:

was a serous proposal by old Peenemunde scientist Krafft Ehricke to turn Convair's Atlas ICBM into a space station. This could be where the early Skylab idea of turning the interior of a propellant tank into living quarters once the propellants were expended on the way to orbit (the "wetlab" concept) came from. The lifting body ferry ships come from the era when no one realized just how much manned aerodynamic RV's were going to weigh. Two were to be launched belly-to-belly on a Altas-Centaur rocket.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery